Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Buying the Camaro from factory/ Anti gouging (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5661)

Muscle Master 07-30-2008 06:11 PM

Buying the Camaro from factory/ Anti gouging
 
There are two topics to this thread

Is it possible to buy a camaro straight out of the factory at MSRP or maybe lower at a dealer price?

Is there anything we can do to stop gouging

TAG UR IT 07-30-2008 06:38 PM

No. You can not buy from the factory.

The only way to get a lower price is to shop around or have a discount (and there are many).

Yes...we can stop the gouging. We just don't buy and hold off until they are FORCED to lower their prices.

Sierra 07-30-2008 07:11 PM

Yes but its such a sweet car. It sucks to wait. Who am I kidding I am waiting.

EllwynX 07-30-2008 09:45 PM

I checked out a black Challenger SRT8 the other day at a local dealer. I have to admit, in person it's a GREAT looking vehicle. Much better than in pics.

The MSRP was about $42,000. But next to that sticker the dealer had added another one with the MSRP + 'ADMU' of $15,000.

And that was just the one they had left. The guy said they'd already sold the orange one.

That let me know I'd never buy from that dealership in the future...

What can I say other than 'a fool and his money...'

Muscle Master 07-30-2008 10:12 PM

unless GM flood the market with maros from the bat, there are going to be gouging everywere

fastball 07-30-2008 10:23 PM

It's been discussed countless times - there are federal franchise laws in the United States that prohibit you from being able to buy a car directly from the manufacturer. I dissagree with them, but they are laws and there's nothing we can do about it.

What we can all do, as one big Camaro family, is each and every one of us refuse to pay a dime over sticker for even a fully loaded SS in the most rare of colors. Of course, there are those with more money than brains, and they will ruin it for the rest of us - unless you find a dealer that will NOT gouge, and there are a few out there. Two of them have associates who post on this forum regularly.

Do your homework, be patient, and we'll all be allright. :)

DGthe3 07-30-2008 11:32 PM

Odds are the laws are the same in Canada. I'd love to be able to pick it up at the factory though. I can dream . . .

As far as stopping the gouging, post said stealerships in the appropriate the gouging thread, and if you happen to find a good dealership that sells at or below msrp, post that too. Not a whole lot we can do except give bad dealers bad names.

garagelogic 07-30-2008 11:44 PM

Keep dreaming. The fact of the matter is there are more people willing and able to buy a Camaro at MRSP or more the minute they become available. In today's "I gotta have it and I gotta have it now" society, it would be a downright miracle if you could get more than a few hundred people to hold out on buying a Camaro.

It happened with the Mustang GT when the S197 platform became available, it happened with the Z06 Corvette, the Challenger, the GT500, the GTR, etc. Somehow I get the feeling that most of the people who are complaining the most about what it is going to take to get into one of these cars when they are first released probably would be getting in over their head financially even if they were able to get it for under MSRP.

80Zedder 07-31-2008 12:37 AM

Actually boys, you can buy directly from the Factory, at deep discounted prices. You just have to work there to get into the employee garage ;O)

Supermans 08-02-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastball (Post 103802)
It's been discussed countless times - there are federal franchise laws in the United States that prohibit you from being able to buy a car directly from the manufacturer. I dissagree with them, but they are laws and there's nothing we can do about it.

What we can all do, as one big Camaro family, is each and every one of us refuse to pay a dime over sticker for even a fully loaded SS in the most rare of colors. Of course, there are those with more money than brains, and they will ruin it for the rest of us - unless you find a dealer that will NOT gouge, and there are a few out there. Two of them have associates who post on this forum regularly.

Do your homework, be patient, and we'll all be allright. :)

Well, GM doesn't have to let those contracts renew to those franchises that gouge and problem solved.

69copo 08-02-2008 03:15 PM

Factory Delivery??
 
Does anyone know of or heard anything about factory delivery? I think that would be a great experience to go get a camaro right of the line. They do it for the Vett. Any ideas F-Bod?

GothamCamaro 08-02-2008 03:20 PM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5661

Captain Awesome 08-02-2008 03:31 PM

Do they gouge on Saturns with their pricing structure?

Factory delivery and bypassing the gouging dealers? AWESOME!

They could set a new standard way of doing business!

Cut out the middle-man!

fastball 08-02-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 105369)
Do they gouge on Saturns with their pricing structure?

No.

When the Solstice came out, people were paying 5-7k over sticker at Pontiac dealers.

Then the Sky came out (which the better looking of the two IMO), and someone I used to work with was one of the first people to get on the ordering list. He ordered a RedLine manual trans. in metallic blue with black interior, and ordered the options exactly how he wanted them. The car came in and he paid not a dime over sticker, no haggling, no discussions.

To me, the folks who paid over sticker for the Solstice were fools and deserved to loose all their money.

I wouldn't have a problem paying sticker if GM moved to make their entire dealer network, in all divisions (Saturn, Cadillac, Chevy, BPG, Saab) 100% no haggle, pay whats on the window.

stovt001 08-02-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garagelogic (Post 103855)
Keep dreaming. The fact of the matter is there are more people willing and able to buy a Camaro at MRSP or more the minute they become available. In today's "I gotta have it and I gotta have it now" society, it would be a downright miracle if you could get more than a few hundred people to hold out on buying a Camaro.

It happened with the Mustang GT when the S197 platform became available, it happened with the Z06 Corvette, the Challenger, the GT500, the GTR, etc. Somehow I get the feeling that most of the people who are complaining the most about what it is going to take to get into one of these cars when they are first released probably would be getting in over their head financially even if they were able to get it for under MSRP.

I hate to say it but he's mostly right. Of course there will be some dealerships that don't do markups just as a customer good will offer, but for any other dealership, they'll find no shortage of people who have to be satisfied RIGHT NOW and will pay any price for that. Its people like that, who have more desire than financial sense, that are the reason we're in this economic funk today. Sigh.

The Great KJ 08-02-2008 06:38 PM

Pricing
 
I like the idea of posting dealers who do not mark the prices up on the new Camaro. It would be well worth my money to travel several hundred miles or more just to avoid $10,000 mark ups. It could work like this. If you want to purchase a Shelby Mustang at Forby Ford in Dacono Colorado you will have a base of $50,000 and a dealer mark up of $10,000 more. Not that I'm ever going to buy a Ford, and I'm not! But screw them!!!

KJ

CamaroScotty 08-02-2008 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Great KJ (Post 105424)
I like the idea of posting dealers who do not mark the prices up on the new Camaro. It would be well worth my money to travel several hundred miles or more just to avoid $10,000 mark ups. It could work like this. If you want to purchase a Shelby Mustang at Forby Ford in Dacono Colorado you will have a base of $50,000 and a dealer mark up of $10,000 more. Not that I'm ever going to buy a Ford, and I'm not! But screw them!!!

KJ



DING DING DING - WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Buy from an MSRP or LESS dealer, and have the car DELIVERED FROM THE FACTORY to a LOCAL dealer. simple. easy.

playhard67 08-02-2008 11:06 PM

I signed up with a dealer six months ago and was told they never do markups..... two weeks ago I checked where I was on their "list" (4th) and then reconfirmed they would not markup. Well, I guess the story has changed and they would not commit to no markup.

I'm now 2nd on the list with a dealer 150 miles away in the same state, where I received confirmation from the Owner of the Dealership and the Sales Manager that they will never markup any car. I'll be buying from them.

littlecammi 08-02-2008 11:55 PM

Times are tough for U.S. carmakers. Times are very tough for the dealerships trying to sell those cars, too. One way dealerships can make up a little for slow sales is to sell cars above MSRP when demand exceeds supply. This usually only happens when new (or newly redesigned) specialty models are released. How long demand exceeds supply depends on how much the manufacturer limits production. Cars with artificially limited production (such as the Shelby GT500, Nissan Skyline GT-R, 2008 Challenger SRT8) can continue to command "market pricing" of more than MSRP for up to a year or more. Cars without limited production status (like the '05 Mustang GT, Pontiac Solstice, Ford Thunderbird, Toyota Prius) can only do so until production output catches up with demand.

The 2010 Camaro will not be a limited production vehicle. But many dealers will sell for over MSRP until supply catches up with demand. Camaro V6 production is intended to outnumber Camaro V8 production (just like it has year after year with the Ford Mustang). V6 Camaro production should catch up with demand fairly quickly. Most V6 buyers are not Camaro fanatics and would buy a different vehicle rather than pay anything over MSRP. But most of the people posting on this site want the SS V8 Camaro, which is more likely to command more than sticker. Allocations to each dealer for SS Camaros will be few and far between for the first few months at least. Many dealers eager to secure sales will take "orders" knowing that it may be months before they get enough allocations to even place the V8 Camaros on order with Chevrolet. This happened to buyers of the '05 Mustang GT. If 90% of the advance orders placed with dealers are for SS model Camaros, GM will not halt V6 production in order to immediately build lots of V8 Camaros.

80Zedder 08-15-2008 12:30 AM

no they wont halt v6 production, they will schedule overtime and pay us well to crank out more V8's. Odds are they have already alotted production times for a V8 outcry. i dont think the general is gonna sit on his butt with this one.

JEFF2010SSMANUAL 08-15-2008 11:21 AM

When will enough SS Camaro's be available on lots? And at sticker price?

May 1 09, June 1,09, July 1,09 ???

I want to buy one June 1, 09.

I also want white which won't be available until July 1, 09.

Will white possably be available in June?

boxmonkeyracing 08-15-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEFF2010SSMANUAL (Post 112744)
When will enough SS Camaro's be available on lots? And at sticker price?

May 1 09, June 1,09, July 1,09 ???

I want to buy one June 1, 09.

I also want white which won't be available until July 1, 09.

Will white possably be available in June?

I suspect before may seeing how their goal is 80-100 000 cars a year. but only time will tell.

where did you hear white wouldn't be available until july? white's an extremely popular color. . .kinda funny if they aren't on the top on the list

JEFF2010SSMANUAL 08-15-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing (Post 112775)
I suspect before may seeing how their goal is 80-100 000 cars a year. but only time will tell.

where did you hear white wouldn't be available until july? white's an extremely popular color. . .kinda funny if they aren't on the top on the list

On the official Camaro website. White won't be available until July 09.

I want white or orange with black stripes, but don't want to wait until July 09. I want to buy a loaded SS manual around May 09 and June 1 09 at the latest. I HOPE white is available sooner then July. I think orange will be TOO popular, plus MANY Challenger SRT8's will be orange.

smike07 08-18-2008 04:37 PM

If you have a Costco near you, get a card and buy it through their vehicle incentive program. Basically, they do all the work in contacting a dealership with the best priced car, typically, below MSRP! You'll likely have to wait anywhere from a week to a couple of months, but if you're a serious buyer, you'll get exactly what you want for a fair price.

Angrybird 12 08-18-2008 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by playhard67 (Post 105527)
I signed up with a dealer six months ago and was told they never do markups..... two weeks ago I checked where I was on their "list" (4th) and then reconfirmed they would not markup. Well, I guess the story has changed and they would not commit to no markup.

I'm now 2nd on the list with a dealer 150 miles away in the same state, where I received confirmation from the Owner of the Dealership and the Sales Manager that they will never markup any car. I'll be buying from them.

Did you get it in writing? I got that on my Sky when I ordered my first one, otherwise it is just his word against yours....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.