Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Let's Talk About ZMax Oil Treatment a Moment. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57977)

RCPW 12-25-2009 03:54 AM

Let's Talk About ZMax Oil Treatment a Moment.
 
Hi Everyone,...
I tend to watch the Speed Channel a lot, I watch Bullrun, Super Bikes, Pass Time, Super Car, Wrecked, Jacked and many others,... You know, Mostly the series when they're running new ones.

Anyway they Advertise the ZMax Oil Treatment All The Time During some of these shows, It's a micro-lubricant that soaks into metal of where ever your using it. If you use it in your engine you have to put more back in every 6000 miles.

Has anyone ever use this stuff, Sure I've read their Web site, their FAQ's and their Testimonials.

What ever happen to Slick 50? I remember about 15 Years ago or so,... Slick 50 Was the Talk of the Town and now you don't ever hear anything about them,... Or at least I dont anymore is ZMax going to Turn in to another Slick 50 in 10-15 years?

But then again I think Slick 50 and ZMax are 2 totally Different Products Anyway. I was just using Slick 50 as an Example.

So what are your thoughts on ZMax Products?
I have a 2SS on order and I've been thinking about using their products and wanted to if anyone has used any of the ZMax Products Before or Know anything about them First Hand before I started to use them myself.

Thanks for stopping by and for your input.

RCPW.
A.K.A.
Jim

14pilot 12-25-2009 11:36 AM

Snake OIL
 
Its nothing more than common mineral oil. If you believe the hype, just go buy some plain ol' mineral oil and pour it in your car. Same as...

Mzodarg 12-25-2009 12:18 PM

Snake oil

BackinBlackSS/RS 12-25-2009 12:28 PM

So Carrol Shelby is a snake oil salesman? Sold his soul for cash I guess.

67MellowYellow 12-25-2009 12:52 PM

Some people will swear it works but be sure to do some reasearch first and check out this article first before buying. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

flyby 12-25-2009 03:05 PM

I've been using Z-Max since I picked up my car (Aug 30) got it on the way home. If it's snake oil I guess I am the fool, but I've had zero problems. I also use it in the beater Jeep I picked up in November. gas mileage went up by almost 15%. must be some rel strange snake oil, or just luck or maybe as they found out on Horsepower TV on the dyno it made greater horsepower and lowered the needed fuel. I would sooner believe Carrol Shelby, what I saw in my Jeep and on Horsepower TV. NOT SNAKE OIL,

flyby 12-25-2009 03:07 PM

Oh, forgot I also used the fuel treatment too. (could have something to do with it) they come in a pack one for oil, one for fuel

BackinBlackSS/RS 12-25-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyby (Post 1318953)
I've been using Z-Max since I picked up my car (Aug 30) got it on the way home. If it's snake oil I guess I am the fool, but I've had zero problems. I also use it in the beater Jeep I picked up in November. gas mileage went up by almost 15%. must be some rel strange snake oil, or just luck or maybe as they found out on Horsepower TV on the dyno it made greater horsepower and lowered the needed fuel. I would sooner believe Carrol Shelby, what I saw in my Jeep and on Horsepower TV. NOT SNAKE OIL,

Great first hand info. Thanks for sharing. Restores my faith in Mr. Shelby. :)

14pilot 12-25-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyby (Post 1318953)
I've been using Z-Max since I picked up my car (Aug 30) got it on the way home. If it's snake oil I guess I am the fool, but I've had zero problems. I also use it in the beater Jeep I picked up in November. gas mileage went up by almost 15%. must be some rel strange snake oil, or just luck or maybe as they found out on Horsepower TV on the dyno it made greater horsepower and lowered the needed fuel. I would sooner believe Carrol Shelby, what I saw in my Jeep and on Horsepower TV. NOT SNAKE OIL,

It is Mineral Oil, plain and simple. Does that make you a fool? Well if Z-Max really works for you, then just go buy plain old mineral oil in a bulk jug and save much bucks.

Angrybird 12 12-25-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67MellowYellow (Post 1318775)
Some people will swear it works but be sure to do some reasearch first and check out this article first before buying. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.shtm

ok, that was in 2001, it is now almost 9 years later, what was the outcome?

Ok I found out the info on the Zmax website

Quote:

zMAX vs. The FTC Summary
CONCORD, NC (March 20, 2003) - Oil-Chem Research Corp. (Oil-Chem) and Speedway Motorsports, Inc. (SMI) announced today a resolution to their dispute with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) concerning the advertising of zMAX Power System.

"We at Speedway Motorsports are very pleased that the staff of the Federal Trade Commission has specifically confirmed that Oil-Chem can continue to make the following claims in its advertising and promotion of zMAX,” stated Marylaurel E. Wilks, vice president and general counsel of SMI.

zMAX soaks into metal.

zMAX reduces friction.

zMAX increases horsepower.

zMAX dissipates engine heat.

zMAX helps to improve or restore gas mileage and reduce emissions in older cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX helps to maintain gas mileage and emissions in newer cars, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX helps to reduce engine wear on engine valve-stems and guides and piston rings and skirts, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

zMAX helps to extend engine life, by virtue of reducing engine deposits.

This confirmation is specified in an exchange of letters with the Division of Enforcement of the FTC. Oil-Chem’s letter lists the tests and other documents that substantiate the zMAX claims (provided by Oil-Chem to the FTC during the litigation), and the FTC responded that no compliance action would be merited as a result of Oil-Chem making such claims.

Oil-Chem and SMI have not admitted any liability in this litigation. However, in order to avoid the significant expense and time involved in the litigation, the FTC, Oil-Chem and SMI have agreed to end the litigation by the signing of an order, which, in summary, states: (a) Oil-Chem and SMI do not admit any liability and continue to deny any liability; (b) The FTC has issued its compliance letter (which confirms that enforcement is not merited for the eight specified claims); (c) Oil-Chem and SMI will not make advertising claims which are not properly substantiated; and (d) Oil-Chem and SMI will offer a refund of up to $1 million, in the aggregate, to certain purchasers of zMAX, who bought zMAX before January 31, 2001. No refund will be offered to purchasers after that date. For more information visit zMAX.com.

zMAX was developed in 1947 by Joe Lencki as Speedway Cocktail. Sold to the racing industry and car dealerships since it development, it has been marketed as zMAX since1989. AVBLEND, the zMAX formula for aviation, is FAA approved for all piston driven aircraft and has been available since 1980. In addition to company efforts to market zMAX through infomercial, zMAX is available at better auto parts stores including Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, Checker, Kargen, Murray's Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts, PepBoys, Schuck's, Strauss Discount Auto, VIP as well as Target stores and BJ's Wholesale nationwide. zMAX became a part of Speedway Motorsports Inc in 1987.

Speedway Motorsports is a leading marketer and promoter of motorsports entertainment in the United States. The Company owns and operates the following premiere facilities: Atlanta Motor Speedway, Bristol Motor Speedway, Infineon Raceway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Lowe’s Motor Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway. The Company provides souvenir merchandising services through its SMI Properties subsidiary, and manufactures and distributes smaller-scale, modified racing cars through its 600 Racing subsidiary. The Company also owns Performance Racing Network which broadcasts syndicated motorsports programming to more than 725 stations nationwide including XM Satellite and NASCAR.com, and Oil-Chem Research Corp., the manufacturer and distributor of zMAX. For more information, visit the Company’s website at gospeedway.com.

CTS 12-25-2009 04:44 PM

If You Have To Use Oil Additives Then You Are Using The Wrong Oil.

All these personalities promoting these products ARE BEING PAID TO DO SO.......


Anyone who uses oil additives is just plain wasting money.

Ksb2010ss 12-25-2009 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTS (Post 1319060)
If You Have To Use Oil Additives Then You Are Using The Wrong Oil.

All these personalities promoting these products ARE BEING PAID TO DO SO.......


Anyone who uses oil additives is just plain wasting money.

Couldn't have said it better ! I use only Mobil 1 synthetic in every vehicle I own and have never had a problem yet.

flyby 12-25-2009 11:26 PM

Well, I use Royal Purple. I also still use Z-Max. Let's see in oh ten years who has more out of pocket engine expenses. Bet I win. Many people have knee-jerk reactions. Mine are based on pure science and testing. Yes extensive testing. For a few dollars, more horsepower, lower friction, longer engine life, better gas mileage. I will continue spending a little more for a lot of benefits.

flyby 12-25-2009 11:29 PM

Oh just one more thought. I do not believe Carrol Shelby is hurting and is promoting a product for a little endorsement money. If he were, why not more endorsements. Can't think of any others. He says he believes in the product. I believed him, based on his rep. After using the product, I believe in it.

RCPW 12-26-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTS (Post 1319060)
If You Have To Use Oil Additives Then You Are Using The Wrong Oil.

When I finally do get my 2SS I just want to try and make it "BETTER" if I possibly can that is why I posted this thread, I dont know if this product is Snake Oil or Not, Believe me when it comes time for me to have the oil changed I'll probably have it changed with Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, I believe that is what comes with it from reading the Adobe .pdf Manual if i remember correctly, I just want to make my Camaro Better in every way Possible and for an extra $30-$35 every 6000 Miles Really isnt that much to spend since we're almost pretty much spending $3.00 for a gallon a gas at a well know gas station for good gas for our cars or $2.75 for gallon for crappy gas at a crappy gas station for your car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ksb2010ss (Post 1319506)
Couldn't have said it better ! I use only Mobil 1 synthetic in every vehicle I own and have never had a problem yet.

Ksb2010ss,...

I totally agree,... I plan on using the same oil :thumbup: but again I just want to make my car Better is all that is why I started this thread to find out if this Oil Treatment Fluid is any good or not.

I'm still not convinced yet, Carrol Shelby is an old man, I dont know what his finances are, Plus he's a Mustang Guy and I can't stand Mustang's :facepalm:.

SleepWarz 12-26-2009 03:11 AM

I use royal purple.

Mzodarg 12-26-2009 03:55 AM

Redline racing oil for me. Use it in all my scooters and now my Maro.

Angrybird 12 12-26-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyby (Post 1319652)
Oh just one more thought. I do not believe Carrol Shelby is hurting and is promoting a product for a little endorsement money. If he were, why not more endorsements. Can't think of any others. He says he believes in the product. I believed him, based on his rep. After using the product, I believe in it.

I thought he was part owner in the Company? I know the majority Stock holder is Speedway motorsports, but I thought Shelby still retained partial ownership...

camaro_eddie 12-26-2009 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyby (Post 1319648)
Well, I use Royal Purple. I also still use Z-Max. Let's see in oh ten years who has more out of pocket engine expenses. Bet I win. Many people have knee-jerk reactions. Mine are based on pure science and testing. Yes extensive testing. For a few dollars, more horsepower, lower friction, longer engine life, better gas mileage. I will continue spending a little more for a lot of benefits.

I would be willing to take that bet with you...:) I use Amsoil based on scientific tests, studies, and personal experiences. It has treated me well and is the only oil I wold recommend, no additives needed. It blows RP out of the water, Mobil 1 is the only oil close to comparing to it.

CTS 12-26-2009 10:18 AM

How can it be that some additive manufacturer can have a miracle, cure-all additive without knowing the chemistry of the oil it will be used in? The answer is, they don't. They are masters at marketing, not science chemistry and engineering.

Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers and testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability is insufficient to support product claims.

All of these products are just psychological placebos. Simply use a good quality oil, it will have all the additives your engine needs, mixed right in. Oil additives only serve to lessen the effectiveness of your oil's additives and lubrication properties.

The Bottom Line Don't use any oil additives whatsoever, NONE of them are effective and many are damaging. Simply use a good quality oil, its got all the additives you need

BackinBlackSS/RS 12-26-2009 10:23 AM

Well, every super snake that Shelby builds has it in it. :bolt:

camaro_eddie 12-26-2009 10:28 AM

:thumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by CTS (Post 1320205)
How can it be that some additive manufacturer can have a miracle, cure-all additive without knowing the chemistry of the oil it will be used in? The answer is, they don't. They are masters at marketing, not science chemistry and engineering.

Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers and testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability is insufficient to support product claims.

All of these products are just psychological placebos. Simply use a good quality oil, it will have all the additives your engine needs, mixed right in. Oil additives only serve to lessen the effectiveness of your oil's additives and lubrication properties.

The Bottom Line Don't use any oil additives whatsoever, NONE of them are effective and many are damaging. Simply use a good quality oil, its got all the additives you need


BackinBlackSS/RS 12-26-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTS (Post 1319060)

Anyone who uses oil additives is just plain wasting money.

Now this I can believe. You can use it, but you don't NEED it.

alex33x 12-26-2009 01:44 PM

Wasnt slick 50 for high mileage cars? I dont remember anyone using it on a new car. Dont know anything about this product your talking about, but I used royal purple.

bballr4567 12-26-2009 01:48 PM

People in here saying that its snake oil but then using Mobil 1 "synthetic" is kind of funny to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.