Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Just Bought a Low Mileage 2010 Camaro SS - Where Do I Go From Here (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620533)

MustangKillr 10-19-2023 12:01 PM

Just Bought a Low Mileage 2010 Camaro SS - Where Do I Go From Here

After wanting one since 2009, I finally was fortunate enough to be able to get my dream car, a 2010 Camaro 2SS M6, back in May. It only had 24,000 miles, and seemed to be in immaculate mechanical and physical condition. Since then, I’ve put about 5000 miles on it. My only complaint is that there is a clunking or grinding noise towards the rear end whenever turning at low speeds.

My question, what should I do maintenance-wise on it? This is my first time buying a pre-owned car that’s 14 years old. Despite the low mileage is there anything critical I should do? I’ve obviously changed the oil straight away after buying it, but other than that, everything is original from when it was built in 2009. Tires (and presumably battery) have been replaced at some point by previous owner, but they still look good at the moment.

Thanks for the advice!

chevy pilot 10-19-2023 02:13 PM

Rear end oil,brake fluid,steering fluid,coolant.

gtstorey 10-19-2023 02:31 PM

My first guess on clunking noise would be swaybar connector endlinks.

MustangKillr 10-20-2023 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy pilot (Post 11370748)
Rear end oil,brake fluid,steering fluid,coolant.

Thanks! Rear diff fluid was next on the list. I’ll be sure to flush the brake fluid, power steering, and coolant as well. Anything need to be done as far as trans fluid on a manual? I’ve heard varied responses, but I’m thinking it wouldn’t be a bad idea based on age alone.

MustangKillr 10-20-2023 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtstorey (Post 11370761)
My first guess on clunking noise would be swaybar connector endlinks.

Good call on the sway bar end links, I didn’t think about that, but that sounds more apt. I was afraid it may be an axle. I took a look at the end links and don’t see any leaking grease or anything (though I imagine it’s dried up after 14 years regardless). Mounting hardware looks rusty, but otherwise look to be in good shape. I’ll probably change them regardless, because they’re inexpensive.

Bigdumogre 10-20-2023 01:26 PM

Also look into changing the plug wires. When i got my 2012 it was about 8 years old and changed the plugs and wires just in case and luckily that i did since 2 wires fell apart when trying to pull them off. They were dry rotted.

MustangKillr 10-20-2023 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdumogre (Post 11371120)
Also look into changing the plug wires. When i got my 2012 it was about 8 years old and changed the plugs and wires just in case and luckily that i did since 2 wires fell apart when trying to pull them off. They were dry rotted.

Good idea, much appreciated. I’m trying to get this thing back to as close to it was in 2010. I want to make sure I cover all the bases since it’s the first time I’ve bought something with as many years as this has, and I’d like to preserve it. I sadly have no prior owner service history since it was bought from a dealer and they weren’t very helpful. I’m assuming nothing was done on it since it was originally purchased though.

chevy pilot 10-21-2023 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangKillr (Post 11371111)
trans fluid on a manual

13.years old trans oil is very old.

el ess A 10-21-2023 07:49 AM

For the manual V8 transmission, I use Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF ("multiple vehicle formula" on front of bottle). Well, the ZL1 has it since it's a manual. But it has had no drawbacks since changing it out.

Whatever you do, don't use Dexron VI.

You COULD just go with GM 88861800 manual transmission fluid as replacement, but it's simply a revamped ATF (Dex III) with different additive package for use in manual transmissions.

According to Tremec themselves, you don't really NEED to change it, unless it's been raced a lot or lots of HD use to get the temps up.

From their FAQ:

Quote:

Q: How often should I change my manual transmission fluid?
A: Under normal driving conditions the fluid should never require changing. For severe driving or racing, fluid changes should be made frequently, especially when operating temperatures of the transmission fluid exceed 250°F.

flht99b 10-22-2023 06:25 AM

Red Line D4 in the SS Tremec 6 speed. Went through this a nearly a decade and a half ago (got my 2010 SS on 6/17/2009). Car has been used on the street, road courses and autocrossed.

MustangKillr 10-27-2023 08:51 PM

Thanks for the advice! I’m going to try and find service history for the car to see what has been done recently (if anything). I’ll be taking it in for an oil change and rear diff fluid change in a week or two. I’ll try and get a video of the clunking/grinding noise from the rear end as well.

patternpilot 10-27-2023 08:57 PM

Diff fluid

When the differential fluid is changed there is an additive that needs to be put in. If it is not you get clunking noises when you turn a corner. I don't recall what it is called.

chevy pilot 10-28-2023 02:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use this.

Lou gill 10-29-2023 07:43 AM

I use Amsoil for the rear diff in my ZL1