Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage / Tools Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Who has a mini split in their garage? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621337)

SlowLS1 11-26-2023 06:56 AM

Who has a mini split in their garage?

If you have one, which one did you go for? Was it worth it? Did you install it or buy from a HVAC company?

I really want one, thinking about 18k btu for my 20x20 space. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Brian

tartagliazl1 11-26-2023 07:08 AM

I've installed one on a customer's house. Its not that hard, they come precharged. just read and follow the instructions. Make sure to pick up the thread sealant for the line connections.

Ashen 6.2 11-26-2023 07:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 24k btu Samsung Windfree 2.0 in my 34x21 garage and it was installed by a HVAC company earlier this year. Love it! Wish I had done it sooner. I had a 220v electric heater out there for about 8 or so years now and it worked well for winter. But having this is just awesome and being able to go out there when it's 100 degrees outside and be comfortable is just amazing.

This was the only wall space I had that didnt have cabinets or faced the front door of the house.

Attachment 1141491

Outside unit when it was being installed -

Attachment 1141492

The old electric heater wasn't very efficient at all. The installers said that the mini split would cost less for the entire year than the heater did using it in the winter.

SlowLS1 11-26-2023 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11382883)
I've installed one on a customer's house. Its not that hard, they come precharged. just read and follow the instructions. Make sure to pick up the thread sealant for the line connections.

Nice, do you have a brand preference?

As for the thread sealant, are you using it on the threads, or just on the flare sealing surface. The reason I ask, is I have read that putting it on the threads, will cause the torque values to be incorrect.

SlowLS1 11-26-2023 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 (Post 11382884)
I have a 24k btu Samsung Windfree 2.0 in my 34x21 garage and it was installed by a HVAC company earlier this year. Love it! Wish I had done it sooner. I had a 220v electric heater out there for about 8 or so years now and it worked well for winter. But having this is just awesome and being able to go out there when it's 100 degrees outside and be comfortable is just amazing.

This was the only wall space I had that didnt have cabinets or faced the front door of the house.

Attachment 1141491

Outside unit when it was being installed -

Attachment 1141492

The old electric heater wasn't very efficient at all. The installers said that the mini split would cost less for the entire year than the heater did using it in the winter.

Nice and clean looking install. My location for installing would be about the same. How is the heating compared to the old 220v heater?

Were the HVAC installation prices reasonable?

tartagliazl1 11-26-2023 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowLS1 (Post 11382888)
Nice, do you have a brand preference?

As for the thread sealant, are you using it on the threads, or just on the flare sealing surface. The reason I ask, is I have read that putting it on the threads, will cause the torque values to be incorrect.

You put it on the threads, I like LG, Mitsubishi, Rheem.

Ashen 6.2 11-26-2023 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlowLS1 (Post 11382889)
Nice and clean looking install. My location for installing would be about the same. How is the heating compared to the old 220v heater?

Were the HVAC installation prices reasonable?

It heats much, much better. Yes, I thought the price was very reasonable, the unit & installation was about double the Mr. Cool 24K 20 seer unit prices I see online. I called a few HVAC companies and they wouldn't touch a mr cool or self installed unit if I needed repairs or triaging.

Infidel67 11-26-2023 08:08 AM

I have a Della 18k BTU single Unit and it is great, installed it myself.
Bought a $150 Vacuum pump and it's way less than getting a tech to install it.
make sure you buy yours WIFI !

SlowLS1 11-26-2023 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tartagliazl1 (Post 11382898)
You put it on the threads, I like LG, Mitsubishi, Rheem.

:happy0180: From what I have read, Mitsubishi seems to be a pretty popular unit.

SlowLS1 11-26-2023 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 (Post 11382900)
It heats much, much better. Yes, I thought the price was very reasonable, it was about double the Mr. Cool 24K 20 seer unit prices I see online. I called a few HVAC companies and they wouldn't touch a mr cool or self installed unit if I needed repairs or triaging.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to get some quotes this coming week. You confirmed my suspicion. It's going to be all or nothing. Some of the DIY units require Licensed tech to pull the vacuum and such for warranty purposes.

I feel confident I can do the install, just not sure I want to toss the warranty. Even with a warranty, HVAC guys probably won't want to work on it. Price from the HVAC guys will help make that decision.

Mr Cool does warranty DIY install, but some of the reviews on it are pretty lacking for customer service.

SlowLS1 11-26-2023 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infidel67 (Post 11382908)
I have a Della 18k BTU single Unit and it is great, installed it myself.
Bought a $150 Vacuum pump and it's way less than getting a tech to install it.
make sure you buy yours WIFI !

I feel pretty confident doing the install. I have looked at MRcool and Senville. Haven't seen much on Della. My understanding is they are all pretty much made in the same factory. Did you cut and flare your lines, or use the factory flares?

tartagliazl1 11-26-2023 08:50 AM

If your line set is longer than you need you’ll have to cut and flare it.

SlowLS1 11-26-2023 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 (Post 11382900)
It heats much, much better. Yes, I thought the price was very reasonable, it was about double the Mr. Cool 24K 20 seer unit prices I see online. I called a few HVAC companies and they wouldn't touch a mr cool or self installed unit if I needed repairs or triaging.

I do have a specific question, did your HVAC company do the 240v electrical drop, or did you need to provide it prior to install? I curious how the handle that. I can do the drop, but maybe they prefer they do it themselves? :noidea:

tartagliazl1 11-26-2023 08:59 AM

Most hvac companies will do the electrical hookups also.