Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Help Me Pick An Economy Car (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632)

Marosolid 02-08-2007 11:28 PM

Help Me Pick An Economy Car
 
I need to get a new car to commute 50 miles each way to and from work. I don't want to put the miles on my maro and my silverado is killing me on gas. I want something under $20k that gets at least 35 Mpg. I have some ideas but I would like to see what my fellow camaro enthusiasts think.

Scotsman 02-09-2007 01:34 AM

Scion xB. It's a toyota, what more need be said...

WMCC Doug 02-09-2007 02:39 AM

Chevy Cobalt

TAG UR IT 02-09-2007 02:41 AM

I don't know how to get good gas mileage...:D I hear VW has some good cars (diesels) that get good mileage...VW diesel bug/beetle? What does GM have that gets 30mpg's +?

Marosolid 02-09-2007 03:30 AM

Alright so we all seem to think alike. I was thinking of a vw rabbit w/35 mpg starting at $14995, a scion Tc w/32 mpg starting a $15995, a mazda 3 w/36 mpg starting at $14k, a pontiac g5 w/34 mpg starting at $16k, or a cobalt. My brothers got a cobalt, it's alright. If I got one it would have to be an SS. But they're like 20 something k and I cant afford it. So with these as your options which would you pick? I cant freakin decide.

Marosolid 02-09-2007 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 6636)
I don't know how to get good gas mileage...:D I hear VW has some good cars (diesels) that get good mileage...VW diesel bug/beetle? What does GM have that gets 30mpg's +?

that's pretty funny, i really am laughing out loud. I don't how to get good milage either.

TAG UR IT 02-09-2007 03:45 AM

Those aren't bad prices. Once you get the good mpg's down, I'd look into style and safety. VW has some nifty lookin' cars nowadays.

35th02ss 02-09-2007 08:24 AM

What does GM have that gets 30mpg's +?[/QUOTE]


Just off the top of my head. Three cars come to mind. Aveo, Cobalt, HHR. Which look better than most of the cars above.

Guy withda bowtie 02-09-2007 09:25 AM

How bout a prius. J/K I'd probably go with the mazda3. Its good lookin, sporty and good gas mileage. also have you thought of the crossover SUVs they look real good and get pretty good gas mileage, they look real nice. I dont know if its just me or what but i wouldnt drive a cobalt over a mazda3 or a scion tc. i have never liked cavaliers and cobalts just remind me to much of them. Plus I dont think SS should be puton anything smaller then a V8 even if it is supercharged

Casull 02-09-2007 10:59 AM

We got an '06 Civic as our beater car as my silverado only gets about 8 mpg city 11 hwy and I love it. For a little 1.8L engine, that thing actually has a surprising amount of peppyness compared to the cobalt and corolla that we test drove as well. We got everything except the navigation system on ours and paid like $19,500 out the door.

On yeah, I try to keep a log and calculate my gas milage as much as possible. The EPA estimate is 30/40 for it, I average about 35 - 38mpg with equal amounts of city and highway.

boxmonkeyracing 02-09-2007 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerScotsman (Post 6626)
Scion xB. It's a toyota, what more need be said...

it's a box on wheels. . .I could say more but I'd make a lot of people mad.

cobalt or HHR

frodo 02-09-2007 11:17 AM

HHR, Cobalt, Mazda 3, or wait for the Astra.

WMCC Gary 02-09-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 6636)
..... What does GM have that gets 30mpg's +?

They have a few.
Chevrolet
Aveo MSRP $10560 - $14075 MPG: City 26-27, Hwy 34-37
Cobalt MSRP $13740 - $21540 MPG: City 24-25, Hwy 32-34
Malibu MSRP $17805 - $24565 MPG: City 18-24, Hwy 26-34
Monte Carlo MSRP $21630 - $28355 MPG: City 18-21, Hwy 27-31
HHR MSRP $16550 - $19350 MPG: City 22-23, Hwy 30-30

Buick
LaCrosse MSRP $23035 - $27665 MPG: City 19-20, Hwy 27-30

Pontiac
G5 MSRP $15340 - $18095 MPG: City 24-25, Hwy 32-34
G6 MSRP $17825 - $29330 MPG: City 18-23, Hwy 27-33
Gran Prix MSRP $22430 - $29430 MPG: City 18-20, Hwy 27-30
Vibe MSRP $17295 - $17295 MPG: City 29-30, Hwy 34-36

Saturn
ION 3 MSRP $12890 - $20420 MPG: City 24-26, Hwy 32-35
Sky MSRP $25325 - $29025 MPG: City 20-22, Hwy 26-31
Vue MSRP $18100 - $24335 MPG: City 19-27, Hwy 25-32

Saab
9-3 Sport sedan MSRP $26995 - $33545 MPG: City 17-22, Hwy 28-31
9-3 Sport Combi MSRP $28240 - $34445 MPG: City 17-22, Hwy 28-31
9-5 Sport sedan MSRP $35440 - $36440 MPG: City 19-20, Hwy 28-30
9-5 Sport Combi MSRP $33290 - $37535 MPG: City 19-20, Hwy 28-30

TAG UR IT 02-09-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WMCC Gary (Post 6658)
They have a few.
Chevrolet
Aveo MSRP $10560 - $14075 MPG: City 26-27, Hwy 34-37
Cobalt MSRP $13740 - $21540 MPG: City 24-25, Hwy 32-34
Malibu MSRP $17805 - $24565 MPG: City 18-24, Hwy 26-34
Monte Carlo MSRP $21630 - $28355 MPG: City 18-21, Hwy 27-31
HHR MSRP $16550 - $19350 MPG: City 22-23, Hwy 30-30

Buick
LaCrosse MSRP $23035 - $27665 MPG: City 19-20, Hwy 27-30

Pontiac
G5 MSRP $15340 - $18095 MPG: City 24-25, Hwy 32-34
G6 MSRP $17825 - $29330 MPG: City 18-23, Hwy 27-33
Gran Prix MSRP $22430 - $29430 MPG: City 18-20, Hwy 27-30
Vibe MSRP $17295 - $17295 MPG: City 29-30, Hwy 34-36

Saturn
ION 3 MSRP $12890 - $20420 MPG: City 24-26, Hwy 32-35
Sky MSRP $25325 - $29025 MPG: City 20-22, Hwy 26-31
Vue MSRP $18100 - $24335 MPG: City 19-27, Hwy 25-32

Saab
9-3 Sport sedan MSRP $26995 - $33545 MPG: City 17-22, Hwy 28-31
9-3 Sport Combi MSRP $28240 - $34445 MPG: City 17-22, Hwy 28-31
9-5 Sport sedan MSRP $35440 - $36440 MPG: City 19-20, Hwy 28-30
9-5 Sport Combi MSRP $33290 - $37535 MPG: City 19-20, Hwy 28-30

Thanks, Gary. This was a serious question. I know that GM had a few getting just over that 30 mpg mark, but didn't know which ones. I'd recommend GM over any other to "keep it in the family". It looks like there are a few good choices up there.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.