Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   was there ever a prototype that was supercharged? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557)

warbird81 09-05-2008 03:06 AM

was there ever a prototype that was supercharged?
 
Well boys, it looks like the z28 will not get the goods we had hoped for. (supercharger) So with that in mind i pose these questions to the people in the know.

1. Was there ever a supercharged version of the 5th gen camaro and what were the numbers?

2. How kick ass was it to drive the beast?

3. And what were your thoughts or wet dreams about the car?

I would like to know, because chevy is the best, and have always brought their A game to the table when offering the altimate muscle car. I know it would have been great; and maybe it will be. I just want to drule over the info if any.

Punk_rider 09-05-2008 03:56 AM

I remember seeing a pick of a holden having a supercharged ... well .. a said supercharger that made us thinking it was a z28 camaro project ...

Don't remember where is the pick ,some will probably tell you

Camaro Lives On 09-05-2008 05:49 AM

I remember there were reports about 6-7 months ago of an IVER in Arizona that supossedly that was whistling as the rpm's came up (at the time, we guessed supercharger)... this was a while back tho.

GTAHVIT 09-05-2008 07:04 AM

OK.

Here's the scoop.

Scott Setltemre and Bob Lutz have all but confirmed this publicly. Some enthusiasts were able to visit the proving grounds in AZ. They were able to talk to some of the drivers who had by chance driven the prepro camaros. One of the drivers let it slip that one of the cars was supercharged. That's how it leaked that a blown camaro was in the works. Hence all the speculation that a Z28 would be blown.

So to answer your question, yes at least one of the prepros was blown.....

We think that is what Mr. Lutz was referring to when he said "we can't justify our original plan." We don't know what the Z28 may or may not be. I don't think the Z28 is dead. But it looks like the blower is, at least from the factory.

As far as numbers go. Most speculated that an LSA from the CTSV would be the production power plant at 550hp. Other than that :iono:

Txturbo 09-05-2008 07:27 AM

I have also heard from one of my "sources" that there are two prototypes. One supercharged and one with an LS7.

nonsensez9 09-06-2008 01:21 AM

the DI 6 with a twin turbo would be a killer setup imo

2KZ28_For_Now 09-06-2008 01:40 AM

There was a prototype that was supercharged. It just might not have been a Gen-5 Camaro. Or, it might.

Iono. :iono:

Screw991le 09-06-2008 10:16 AM

Just do what the LS3 Vette guys do. Drop about 7k in a SC kit and run over 500 HP. Then do a Cam and Head swap and run closer to 600. But then you'll need a tranny upgrade.

Power is very easy to add if you have the cash. A GM Z28 will cost more than 50K IMHO.

Just like the GT500, people are going with the Roush and saving 15k plus mark up.

Wm Holden 09-06-2008 02:46 PM

Welburn said "there were a few around" "he had seen THEM" but they would not make a production supercharged CamAro...

But all things are subject to change.
In fact "Change" is the only constant that's guaranteed.

KILLER74Z28 09-07-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warbird81 (Post 125332)
Well boys, it looks like the z28 will not get the goods we had hoped for. (supercharger) So with that in mind i pose these questions to the people in the know.

1. Was there ever a supercharged version of the 5th gen camaro and what were the numbers?

2. How kick ass was it to drive the beast?

3. And what were your thoughts or wet dreams about the car?

I would like to know, because chevy is the best, and have always brought their A game to the table when offering the altimate muscle car. I know it would have been great; and maybe it will be. I just want to drule over the info if any.

:thumbsup:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3415

2010_5thgen 09-07-2008 12:19 PM

wouldnt it be possible to just buy the blower from gm that is on the zr1 or even the cts v and put it on the new ss? other than some fuel changes what other things would be different between the 6.2 and the 6.2 supercharged?

The_Stache 09-07-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit (Post 125355)
OK.

Here's the scoop.

Scott Setltemre and Bob Lutz have all but confirmed this publicly. Some enthusiasts were able to visit the proving grounds in AZ. They were able to talk to some of the drivers who had by chance driven the prepro camaros. One of the drivers let it slip that one of the cars was supercharged. That's how it leaked that a blown camaro was in the works. Hence all the speculation that a Z28 would be blown.

So to answer your question, yes at least one of the prepros was blown.....

We think that is what Mr. Lutz was referring to when he said "we can't justify our original plan." We don't know what the Z28 may or may not be. I don't think the Z28 is dead. But it looks like the blower is, at least from the factory.

As far as numbers go. Most speculated that an LSA from the CTSV would be the production power plant at 550hp. Other than that :iono:

Almost.. I had to take that part down of my writeup.. but it should be good to post now.. the question we posed to the engineers at the proving grounds was what cars they where using to benchmark the camaro, and they said they had a gt500 on campus aswell as others (g37/35, mustang gt, chally was comming when released). He IMPLIED that there was one with a supercharger but never out right said it..

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 126280)
wouldnt it be possible to just buy the blower from gm that is on the zr1 or even the cts v and put it on the new ss? other than some fuel changes what other things would be different between the 6.2 and the 6.2 supercharged?

Many Many Many things, its not just a bolt on, you need a new ecm, new rods, pistons, piston rods, crank, injectors, heads, lifters, valves and more. Im sure you could just bolt it on and get it to work, but its going to take a lot of money and it wont make near what the zr1 makes (probably closer to the cts-v's 550hp) and probably wont last to long either (without the upgrades)

PS the track they took us around in the vettes... if they do the same thing (and they say they do) with the camaro.. you all will be very happy..

Wm Holden 09-07-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarmadhi (Post 126295)
Almost.. I had to take that part down of my writeup.. but it should be good to post now.. the question we posed to the engineers at the proving grounds was what cars they where using to benchmark the camaro, and they said they had a gt500 on campus aswell as others (g37/35, mustang gt, chally was comming when released). He IMPLIED that there was one with a supercharger but never out right said it..



Many Many Many things, its not just a bolt on, you need a new ecm, new rods, pistons, piston rods, crank, injectors, heads, lifters, valves and more. Im sure you could just bolt it on and get it to work, but its going to take a lot of money and it wont make near what the zr1 makes (probably closer to the cts-v's 550hp) and probably wont last to long either (without the upgrades)

PS the track they took us around in the vettes... if they do the same thing (and they say they do) with the camaro.. you all will be very happy..

Was that "Spring ranch"?

2010_5thgen 09-07-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarmadhi (Post 126295)

Many Many Many things, its not just a bolt on, you need a new ecm, new rods, pistons, piston rods, crank, injectors, heads, lifters, valves and more. Im sure you could just bolt it on and get it to work, but its going to take a lot of money and it wont make near what the zr1 makes (probably closer to the cts-v's 550hp) and probably wont last to long either (without the upgrades)

PS the track they took us around in the vettes... if they do the same thing (and they say they do) with the camaro.. you all will be very happy..

and the things that they did to the vette are????? classified or you dont really know what they did, it was just fast?

Jamestwilliams 09-07-2008 01:09 PM

I just had a thought, why doesn't GM build a strengthened block ls3 motor that can handle large amounts of boost and put in a special edition Camaro (I don't think z28 would be appropriate as it was never about power, maybe call it zl-1) that way enthusiasts can add super chargers without being in danger of blowing up the motor and they can do so without voiding the warranty (as long as the blower is dealer installed, ie yanko).

2010_5thgen 09-07-2008 01:10 PM

^^^^^ i like it!

Wm Holden 09-07-2008 01:13 PM

50% increase works fine on a stock bottom LS2..so LS3 should work well at 7lbs of boost.

The_Stache 09-07-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wm Holden (Post 126305)
Was that "Spring ranch"?

The desert proving grounds in mesa (google maps link...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 126306)
and the things that they did to the vette are????? classified or you dont really know what they did, it was just fast?

60-80mph drifting, 40+mph spins, 2 vettes nose to nose doing circles during power oversteering, all the while those of us there taking turns in the passenger seat..

The driver that I rode with told me they go through tires on the vettes about every tank of gas.

Edit, here is a rip from google maps outlining the track...

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...gtrackcopy.jpg

Wm Holden 09-07-2008 01:33 PM

I'll bet that was a blast!

Jamestwilliams 09-07-2008 02:02 PM

Did you see the oval just to east of the test track, it's about 13,000 feet in long. That must be were they do high speed testing. I'm usually not interested in ovals but that thing is huge.

The_Stache 09-07-2008 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams (Post 126332)
Did you see the oval just to east of the test track, it's about 13,000 feet in long. That must be were they do high speed testing. I'm usually not interested in ovals but that thing is huge.

The day we where there, a nascar team was using the circle track (the big one that goes around everything) for testing. Don't remember the team though..

2010_5thgen 09-07-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarmadhi (Post 126323)
The desert proving grounds in mesa (google maps link...)



60-80mph drifting, 40+mph spins, 2 vettes nose to nose doing circles during power oversteering, all the while those of us there taking turns in the passenger seat..

The driver that I rode with told me they go through tires on the vettes about every tank of gas.

Edit, here is a rip from google maps outlining the track...

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/m...gtrackcopy.jpg

sounds like it was fun.

The_Blur 09-07-2008 03:14 PM

There is strong evidence that a supercharged prototype was in the works. The primary theory is that such a Camaro would be the Z28, but other possibilities remain.

There is the argument that a supercharger kit is in the works. This would require testing and tuning which would explain this project prototype.

There is the possibility that a supercharger is going to be developed to compete with Ford's EcoBoost system.

Additionally, GM could have decided that a supercharger was worthy trying but was never taken seriously.

Until production, we won't really know.

shank0668 09-07-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 126382)
There is strong evidence that a supercharged prototype was in the works. The primary theory is that such a Camaro would be the Z28, but other possibilities remain.

There is the argument that a supercharger kit is in the works. This would require testing and tuning which would explain this project prototype.

There is the possibility that a supercharger is going to be developed to compete with Ford's EcoBoost system.

Additionally, GM could have decided that a supercharger was worthy trying but was never taken seriously.

Until production, we won't really know.

qft

The_Blur 09-07-2008 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shank0668 (Post 126390)
qft

What does that mean? :iono:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.