Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Any way to disable Auto Headlights Permanently? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70735)

V8Addict 03-12-2010 05:24 PM

Any way to disable Auto Headlights Permanently?
 
Does anyone know how to permanently turn off the auto headlights on the SS? I know I can temporarily turn them off but it resets itself to auto....sometimes I want complete control.

XTREMESS 03-12-2010 05:38 PM

you would need an alarmguy(a good one) to set up a relay to pulse whattever that switch pulsesto the bcm , everytime you turn on the car
thats it!

Jer4251 03-14-2010 06:03 PM

in the older cars, it was just a resister in the dash sensor.

christianmotox 04-23-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Addict (Post 1582289)
Does anyone know how to permanently turn off the auto headlights on the SS? I know I can temporarily turn them off but it resets itself to auto....sometimes I want complete control.

ALL you need to do is open the switch and remove or cut the spring that makes the knob come back to "Auto", once you remove it, you will be able to leave it at "Off" and move it as you wish.
it only takes like 10 minutes.

EZ SPEED 04-26-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianmotox (Post 1757633)
ALL you need to do is open the switch and remove or cut the spring that makes the knob come back to "Auto", once you remove it, you will be able to leave it at "Off" and move it as you wish.
it only takes like 10 minutes.

I did basically the same thing to my switch. works great :thumbsup:

IamJacksCamaro 07-04-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianmotox (Post 1757633)
ALL you need to do is open the switch and remove or cut the spring that makes the knob come back to "Auto", once you remove it, you will be able to leave it at "Off" and move it as you wish.
it only takes like 10 minutes.

To anyone that has done this mod, does the warning about the automatic headlight control being turned off still pop up on the DIC? I would imagine that if it did, it would come on each time the ignition is turned on.

joblumer 07-06-2010 12:42 PM

so how do you remove the switch, is there a diy

christianmotox 07-06-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamJacksCamaro (Post 2058631)
To anyone that has done this mod, does the warning about the automatic headlight control being turned off still pop up on the DIC? I would imagine that if it did, it would come on each time the ignition is turned on.

The warring only comes on if you have the car runing and you move the knob to OFF, but if the know is always in the off position, you will not get the warning on the DIC.

christianmotox 07-06-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joblumer (Post 2063886)
so how do you remove the switch, is there a diy

Its pretty straight forward, just use a card to pry it open from the knob side, and it will pop out, once its out, just disconnect the plug.

1
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMAG0209.jpg

2
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMAG0210.jpg

3
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/u...x/IMAG0211.jpg

joblumer 07-07-2010 11:10 AM

thanks

joblumer 07-08-2010 09:15 AM

Ok, got switch out and disconnected, really easy. Tried to take switck apart not so easy. Did not want to break, so how do you take switch apart. thanks

amanc96 07-08-2010 12:53 PM

Use a flat head screw driver and slowly work the back off by prying the tabs back. and don't forget about the two in the middle of the switch.

joblumer 07-08-2010 01:20 PM

OK, thanks. I tried that last night, guess I was not patient enough. Will spend a little more time on over the weekend. Again thanks for quick reply.

t.c.tam 09-29-2010 08:16 PM

can anyone confirm that this works please? i imagine if you turn on the car and hold the switch to the left, the auto headlight will still be on because that is the default computer setting.

jagan323 09-29-2010 09:54 PM

doesnt work in Canada =)

1sspat 11-01-2010 12:39 AM

I just completed it!!! Works Well. I just ended up cutting the spring, so now when the vehicle is started, and the switch is already in the off position, the warning light on the DIC does NOT come on. Everything works, minus the switch is now some what loose when it is in the OFF position. Everything still works accordingly however! Took me about 15 minutes and I am glad I did it.

caverman 11-19-2010 09:34 AM

Anyone have a pic of the spring?

I might do this if it's possible for me to put it all back. I would imagine GM doesn't sell just the spring. You would have to buy the whole switch go back.

CyberPunk223 11-10-2012 04:03 PM

okay, I want to install HID head lights on my 1Ls, but it is strongly recomended to disable all automatic headlights before doing this because they say the battery alone is not strong enough to start up the lights and that you should have the engine running. I;m getting this from here

http://www.philipshidkits.com/installation/

so if I do this spring mod will the headlights still come on when I exit the car like they do now?

I bought a cheapo Xentec set of BiXenon lights and had nothing but problems with them, now I'm looking into getting some good panasonic Bixenon ones. has anyone else done this?? what advice can you give me?

C586 11-10-2012 04:22 PM

Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs.

C586 11-10-2012 04:23 PM

Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs. If you do that your headlights will work just like stock. And that switch mod won't work for you.

CyberPunk223 11-10-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C586 (Post 5794806)
Panasonic doesn't make his stuff. It's fake using their name. Go to TRS and get real HiD stuff. Don't just put an HID kit in your headlights. That's what Honda owners do. Do a retrofit. If you can't afford it you can't afford HIDs. If you do that your headlights will work just like stock. And that switch mod won't work for you.

yes, panasonic does make Hid's, they make them for toyota & lexus, and and they even sell them on the website you listed. I'm not spending a $1000 I dont have on projectors because there's no reason to, plus i hate they way they look anyway.

I just dont want to spend $250 for a good kit and then have problems with them. Does this spring switch mod disable the headlights turning on for the vechicle exit and entry too?

C586 11-10-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 5794879)
yes, panasonic does make Hid's, they make them for toyota & lexus, and and they even sell them on the website you listed. I'm not spending a $1000 I dont have on projectors because there's no reason to, plus i hate they way they look anyway.

I just dont want to spend $250 for a good kit and then have problems with them. Does this spring switch mod disable the headlights turning on for the vechicle exit and entry too?

270 bucks for a full retrofit. Or you can be a dick and blind everyone on the road and ruin your light output and have to hack up your car to get them to work. And they will be illegal as well. You hate how projectors look?? Seriously?? Obviously you didn't look at that website. Because even a ls460 retrofit would be around 700. And you don't get better than that. And denso makes ballasts for Toyota and Lexus. Not Panasonic. Do some more research.

Also there is a huge reason to have projectors. You need them when you put aftermarket HID in a car.

And yea. The spring mod will stop the headlights from turning on until you use the switch to turn them on.

CyberPunk223 11-11-2012 12:41 PM

I just did this, the mechanism is pretty complex but I got it figured out, took about 20 minutes to figure it all out, It appears that this all completely disabled all automatic lights including DRL's and the entry & exit lights which is what i need for HID's. and the headlights dont even flash when I lock the car so it's perfect. I took pictures inside the switch, I will post them up tonight when I have time with more of an explanation of how to do it.

Mr. iNCREDIBLE 11-11-2012 01:03 PM

I guess my question would be WHY?

personally I think all vehicles should come with auto headlights, far to often I see retards driving around in the dead of night with no lights on because they are clueless idiots.

C586 11-11-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 5797235)
I just did this, the mechanism is pretty complex but I got it figured out, took about 20 minutes to figure it all out, It appears that this all completely disabled all automatic lights including DRL's and the entry & exit lights which is what i need for HID's. and the headlights dont even flash when I lock the car so it's perfect. I took pictures inside the switch, I will post them up tonight when I have time with more of an explanation of how to do it.

Even though a quality set of HIDs would have worked without doing any of this?? Lol. Stop buying cheap junk and stop being lazy and you won't have issues.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.