Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   USB port (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7087)

The_Stache 09-24-2008 06:41 PM

USB port
 
Does anyone who was at indy and was in the options presentation remember if the USB port is standard on all of the model trims or only those that get the steering wheel audio controls?

I really want the usb port... but could do without the ba system or the wheel controls... and thus im destined for the SS1 (dont want leather either..)

SS4EVER 09-24-2008 06:52 PM

No idea, hopefully someone here can tell you.

I wanna lean towards it being a separate option. I know for the 08+ Cobalt a USB port is a $100.00 option.

headpunter 09-24-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS4EVER (Post 137564)
No idea, hopefully someone here can tell you.

I wanna lean towards it being a separate option. I know for the 08+ Cobalt a USB port is a $100.00 option.

car wise that is really cheap.

and i cant remember what they said about availability in the different trim levels

thinking about it though i remember somewhere in the salesman guide talking about an option ipod interface.

MrGazinya 09-24-2008 07:09 PM

Thought I saw it in one of the pics, in the armrest console.

Bumble Bee '77 09-24-2008 08:11 PM

I'm thinking laptop external HDD with at least 100 gigs full of music hidden in the center console armrest. :D

The_Stache 09-24-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGazinya (Post 137576)
Thought I saw it in one of the pics, in the armrest console.

Yes its there.. but! the question was what option trim is it on.. becuase on the ss1 you dont get leather, bluetooth, or steering wheel audio controls...

drivingincamaro 09-24-2008 09:02 PM

can you hook up a psp to a usb port?

The_Stache 09-24-2008 10:04 PM

I know thats how a PSP interfaces.. but i am unsure if it works as a HD file format interface..

drivingincamaro 09-25-2008 08:06 PM

can somone find a pic of the cord or the jack that hooks up to the ipod :help:

a12ozbottle 09-26-2008 07:52 AM

Here is a pic Kinda blurry though.http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1221907752

Raven 09-26-2008 09:17 AM

Here's a shot from one of the IVER cars...

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...8/IMG_4409.jpg

Nexus6 09-26-2008 09:55 AM

if thats a standard USB port,then you would use the cable that came with your ipod.it doesnt look like the proprietary BS that comes on the Toyota's

drivingincamaro 09-26-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6 (Post 138849)
if thats a standard USB port,then you would use the cable that came with your ipod.it doesnt look like the proprietary BS that comes on the Toyota's

so i can use the usb cord that came with the psp it looks like it would fit

Nexus6 09-26-2008 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivingincamaro (Post 139175)
so i can use the usb cord that came with the psp it looks like it would fit

i dont think you will be able to use the psp on it.that is setup as a gaming machine that also plays music.An ipod's sole purpose is to play music.It might play, but i really wouldn't expect it to.

and im sure you can try it out at a sealership.Any car that has PAL(personal audio link) should operate the same

bouncertime 09-26-2008 06:36 PM

Maybe I am too old school, but is the purpose of having a USB port in a car?

The_Stache 09-26-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncertime (Post 139263)
Maybe I am too old school, but is the purpose of having a USB port in a car?

get a USB drive (you can get a large capacity like 2gb) for $15.00. Then you take your cd's and copy the music from your cd's to the USB drive. Just for reference 1gb will hold an average of 240 songs (thus 2gb will hold 480 songs).

SO for $15ish bucks you can carry 480 songs in your car without having to worry about swapping cd's or getting your car broken into and having them stolen.

PS - with a cd and rough roads you can possibly get skipping and the cd in some cases wont even play.. with USB its solid state meaning that no matter how hard you drive or what the conditions, it will play without skipping.

bouncertime 09-26-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarmadhi (Post 139367)
get a USB drive (you can get a large capacity like 2gb) for $15.00. Then you take your cd's and copy the music from your cd's to the USB drive. Just for reference 1gb will hold an average of 240 songs (thus 2gb will hold 480 songs).

SO for $15ish bucks you can carry 480 songs in your car without having to worry about swapping cd's or getting your car broken into and having them stolen.

PS - with a cd and rough roads you can possibly get skipping and the cd in some cases wont even play.. with USB its solid state meaning that no matter how hard you drive or what the conditions, it will play without skipping.

I didn't know it was directly connected to the stereo, that makes sense. You can store a lot of songs on a flash drive. I was thinking it was for the cars operating electronics.

Caliman93230 09-26-2008 09:46 PM

yes this will be a good feature for my Iphone

drivingincamaro 09-27-2008 10:42 AM

well i guess i will have to buy a ipod or zune :iono:

TAG UR IT 09-27-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarmadhi (Post 139367)
get a USB drive (you can get a large capacity like 2gb) for $15.00. Then you take your cd's and copy the music from your cd's to the USB drive. Just for reference 1gb will hold an average of 240 songs (thus 2gb will hold 480 songs).

SO for $15ish bucks you can carry 480 songs in your car without having to worry about swapping cd's or getting your car broken into and having them stolen.

PS - with a cd and rough roads you can possibly get skipping and the cd in some cases wont even play.. with USB its solid state meaning that no matter how hard you drive or what the conditions, it will play without skipping.

Wonderful explaination! Thanks!!!

You see...this is exactly why I had wanted a USB drive....no more CD's...no more scratching CD's....no more CD's taking up all the room in the center console...or sitting on the seat begging to be stolen by some peckerhead car burglar.

Now, you can plug it in and go. It breaks? No problem....just save your downloaded list in your pc, go back, and download the saved list back to a new flashdrive. Easy as cake.

BTW, Al said NO hard drive in the Camaro. Just a plug in and play....not like the 40g CTS. Basically, I see it as keeping the cost down for us. But, USB port will make it in MY Camaro!

The_Stache 09-27-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivingincamaro (Post 139695)
well i guess i will have to buy a ipod or zune :iono:

dont spend the money on an IPOD or zune...

for comparison..

8Gb Ipod Nano (2000 songs avg) cost $149.00
8GB USB drive (2000 songs avg) cost $17.99

16gb Ipod Nano (4000 songs avg) cost $199.00
16gb USB drive (4000 songs avg) cost $34.99

The math alone says go with the USB... Same song capacity... BUT vastly differnt price..

classicrockr 09-27-2008 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drivingincamaro (Post 139695)
well i guess i will have to buy a ipod or zune :iono:

I've got a Zune, but the rest of my family has ipods. After using both, here's why I like the Zune better:

1) FM radio built in
2) Zune screen is bigger
2) Software is easier to use, so is Zune marketplace (same thing as Itunes)

3) Zune now has "FM tagging" - On the radio stations that display the song name on the radio, if you hear a song you want, just push the center button on the Zune & it saves the song info to your Zune. The next time you go into Zune Marketplace, it will have the song waiting for you to buy for about 99 cents.

3) Every year, the Zune software is updated, adding new features. Apple just puts out a new Ipod every 1-2 years, making you pay for another player - the Zune updates are free.

Every product has its problems & defective units. I've had my Zune 30gb for over 2 years without any problems & I just updated the software so that it matches what comes on the new Zunes being sold.

kanys 09-28-2008 11:01 AM

I am a little confused on how the car will play the music on the USB. Once you plug it in will you like be able to cycle through the files that are playable and just pick one?

skipj3 09-28-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kanys (Post 140215)
I am a little confused on how the car will play the music on the USB. Once you plug it in will you like be able to cycle through the files that are playable and just pick one?


Yes

Camaro68 09-28-2008 11:37 AM

thanks
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by diarmadhi (Post 139838)
dont spend the money on an IPOD or zune...

for comparison..

8Gb Ipod Nano (2000 songs avg) cost $149.00
8GB USB drive (2000 songs avg) cost $17.99

16gb Ipod Nano (4000 songs avg) cost $199.00
16gb USB drive (4000 songs avg) cost $34.99

The math alone says go with the USB... Same song capacity... BUT vastly differnt price..

thanks for the links :thumbsup:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.