Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   I'll be checking out Junkman at the fest, but until then.... I screwed up bad. (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76486)

PQ 04-10-2010 02:00 PM

I'll be checking out Junkman at the fest, but until then.... I screwed up bad.
 
I used rubbing compound on my car. :yikes:

Ya, ya, ya. I know. I'm an idiot. I'm passed that.

I plan on spending some cake on Adams and whatever it takes to become a quasi Junkman at the fest, but I'd also like to do whatever I can to fix my mistake FOR the fest.

In the garage or shade, my car looks freakin amazing. In fact, even if I try, I can't see the swirls. The swirls are not scratches like it was before. But just a kind of light changing thing. In the direct sunlight they appear. :(

Is there anything I can do in the next few days to fix this?

Junkman2008 04-10-2010 02:02 PM

Exactly what did you use and how did you use it?

2LTRS 04-10-2010 02:05 PM

Your going to have a collection after you see what Adam's can do for your ride.
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...sc/photo-8.jpg

Junkman2008 04-10-2010 02:30 PM

Hang up that California Duster young man! ;)

2010SLVRBULIT 04-10-2010 02:50 PM

rubbing compound?..ouch..some have stated that Liquid Ice works. I use Simonz scratch remover on my truck. Covers good, until the next wash....:rolleyes:

Tecca 04-10-2010 02:57 PM

:facepalm: I have done worst in the past. Like junk said what did you use, how bad is it, and do you have any pics.

Not knowing what supplies you have in town you might be able to get away with ScratchX 2.0 and some glaze filler until you can get some better stuff to fix the damage.

Looks like AJ has a test vehicle at the fest.

Junkman2008 04-10-2010 03:02 PM

I've got enough test vehicles lined up that I think I'll be manning the Adam's boot at 12:01 AM Saturday morning!

AdnanHfuda 04-10-2010 03:08 PM

i dont get it, what happened? isnt rubbing compound supposed to be useful for the paint?

@ junkman whats the difference between adams and zaino?

mikey8 04-10-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdnanHfuda (Post 1702582)
@ junkman whats the difference between adams and zaino?

This will keep you busy til' he relpies....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...adam%27s+zaino

PQ 04-10-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkman2008 (Post 1702443)
Exactly what did you use and how did you use it?

Got pissed and tossed it. Don't remember the brand but it said 1500 Cut Compound.

I washed and dried the car and basically applied it by wiping it in and then polished in a circular type motion until it was kinda greasy and woped it off.

Microfiber applicator and wiped with microfiber cloth.

It all looked real good, I mean REAL good till I got it out in the sun. :facepalm:

PQ 04-10-2010 03:24 PM

I'm heading to Lowes to get a foamer and stuff but I dont' know where from there, as far as how to fix before the fest.

I probably should take it to a detailer on MOnday.

mikey8 04-10-2010 03:25 PM

That sux bro! He'll get you straightened out. He purposely messes shit up, just to demonstrate the fix!

PQ 04-10-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey8 (Post 1702628)
That sux bro! He'll get you straightened out. He purposely messes shit up, just to demonstrate the fix!

Well, it's not gonna be too hard to fix I would imagine. Like I said, theres an overcast right now and it looks freaking amazing. It just looks so bad when the sun hits it just right.

I'm an idiot. I'm kinda torn, I know I plan on using the Adams stuff and Junkmans methods, but if I can, I'd like to at least cut these hazy swirls out this week.

GearheadSS 04-10-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkman2008 (Post 1702498)
Hang up that California Duster young man! ;)

No kidding! Those things do more damage than good.

ljustin293 04-10-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorphWS6 (Post 1702642)
No kidding! Those things do more damage than good.

I think he just means literally hang it up...if used right it won't do damage

Junkman2008 04-10-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey8 (Post 1702610)
This will keep you busy til' he relpies....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...adam%27s+zaino

Oh my.... that thread will go down in the great halls of Camaro5 folk lore! :laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdnanHfuda (Post 1702582)
i dont get it, what happened? isnt rubbing compound supposed to be useful for the paint?

@ junkman whats the difference between adams and zaino?

That would be like asking if sandpaper is usful for all paint. Well yea, as long as you use the right grit! And yes, that thread will more than answer your question! :facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1702619)
Got pissed and tossed it. Don't remember the brand but it said 1500 Cut Compound.

YIKES!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1702619)
I washed and dried the car and basically applied it by wiping it in and then polished in a circular type motion until it was kinda greasy and woped it off.

Microfiber applicator and wiped with microfiber cloth.

It all looked real good, I mean REAL good till I got it out in the sun. :facepalm:

That was the WRONG grit to use! The scary thing is what it will take to clean up the damage. I normally will not use the PC for anything lower than 2500 grit. After that, I have to break out my Flex orbital. At 1500 and below, I go to my Makita rotary! Now that compound may not have cut as true as 1500 grit paper because you used it wrong but still, you've done some significant damage. You need to find a reputable detailer who will be able to buff the finish back out without wiping all the clear coat off your car. As it is, the clear is pretty thin on these Camaros. Whatever you do, do NOT take it to a dealership! Some 19 year old hack will definitely wipe the paint job out at that place. You need a professional to fix this. Don't mess with it any more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1702636)
Well, it's not gonna be too hard to fix I would imagine. Like I said, theres an overcast right now and it looks freaking amazing. It just looks so bad when the sun hits it just right.

You'd be wrong about how easy it is going to be to fix...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1702619)
I'm an idiot. I'm kinda torn, I know I plan on using the Adams stuff and Junkmans methods, but if I can, I'd like to at least cut these hazy swirls out this week.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You're correct, but quit being so hard on yourself. :D

You are not going to be able to fix that yourself. That is going to require a more aggressive measure than what you've seen in my videos. Let a professional fix it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljustin293 (Post 1702656)
I think he just means literally hang it up...if used right it won't do damage

You are correct sir!

prostock69 04-10-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LTRS (Post 1702449)
Your going to have a collection after you see what Adam's can do for your ride.
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...sc/photo-8.jpg

OMG I am soooooooooooooooooooooo JEALOUS!!!! :cry::bow::clap:

2LTRS 04-10-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkman2008 (Post 1702498)
Hang up that California Duster young man! ;)

I need to figure out how to hang the dang thing first..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey8 (Post 1702610)
This will keep you busy til' he relpies....

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...adam%27s+zaino

That thread was Epic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MorphWS6 (Post 1702642)
No kidding! Those things do more damage than good.

They don't do any damage if used properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostock69
OMG I am soooooooooooooooooooooo JEALOUS!!!! :cry::bow::clap:

My garage is open to all..

Junkman2008 04-10-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LTRS (Post 1702774)
I need to figure out how to hang the dang thing first...

I drilled a hole in the handle. Worked like a charm. :thumbsup:

PQ 04-10-2010 04:26 PM

Ok, Junkman. I'll take it Monday.

So if anyone wants to know how to waste money, I can teach you. Ugh.....


But, hey, I did get the liitle micro-scratches out. lol

Junkman2008 04-10-2010 04:35 PM

Actually they are still there, you just replaced them with one very big scratch!

PQ 04-10-2010 04:36 PM

Ok. I'm standing here at Auto Zone and I got the product I used. It doesn't say 1500 cut but just says removes 1500 grade scratches.

It's 3M and just says rubbing compound.

So it's not as bad right? :(

PQ 04-10-2010 04:37 PM

It says "Clearcoat Safe" :iono:

ZZTOM 04-10-2010 04:37 PM

Don't feel do bad, I've spent alot on mods to have done for the fest and I get the car back just in time to leave without even getting to wash her. No telling what it will look like when I get there.

Junkman2008 04-10-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PQ (Post 1702828)
Ok. I'm standing here at Auto Zone and I got the product I used. It doesn't say 1500 cut but just says removes 1500 grade scratches.

It's 3M and just says rubbing compound.

So it's not as bad right? :(

It's NOT what you should be using for what you were trying to accomplish! You can use a turkey carving knife to cut butter and it will cut the hell out of some butter but wouldn't a butter knife be a lot better and much more practical?

No, it's not as bad but it is not meant for what you wanted to do. That compound has to be polished out after you use it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.