Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Stupid Y-pipe.... (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8189)

nseldy 10-14-2008 10:29 AM

Stupid Y-pipe....
 
I came across some of the factory performance options and noticed they offered a factory cat-back exhaust. Not sure if the picture I saw was accurate but it looked like a stupid Y-pipe! :cry:Similiar to what came on the 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies! This is a brand new car with the newest technology! why would it have a Y-pipe!!? I know the performance of a large Y-pipe is similiar to true-duals but IMO they sound like shit!! Sorry for the bitchfest but, my current LS1 has true duals with X-pipe and I would never go back to a shitty Y-pipe. It should have true duals from the factory, just like the Corvette. Can anybody validate whether or not it does in fact have a Y-Pipe? Thx

ZZcamaro 10-14-2008 10:53 AM

I think the one you say was for the V6...
Look for the thread" I saw one, sat in one, ordered one"
In there you will see a lot of pictures, one of which shows under the car and what looks to be a X-pipe!!!! I think you will be much happier after you see those pictures.

CamaroSpike23 10-14-2008 11:38 AM

whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.


you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.

not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol

454lsxss 10-14-2008 02:39 PM

The Camaro v6 and v8 will both have x-pipes. If you ask me that was just a pic they slapped on there without thinking too much about it. I thought the same thing for a while though, and then decided I'm probably going with Bassani or Kooks with Spintech anyways. Usually, not always...but usually, manufacturer exhaust systems aren't the best out there, and still close to the same price. Same for Intake. But I WILL be gettin' the Hurst 6spd

nseldy 10-14-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZcamaro (Post 157794)
I think the one you say was for the V6...
Look for the thread" I saw one, sat in one, ordered one"
In there you will see a lot of pictures, one of which shows under the car and what looks to be a X-pipe!!!! I think you will be much happier after you see those pictures.

whew thats good to hear!! THX:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 157837)
whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.
you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol

Y-pipes aren't all that bad, but they not gonna increase performance over a properly sized true-dual set up. All the Vettes have true duals, that should speak for itself. The main thing i don't like with Y-pipe is sound. IMO true-duals just sound better, buts thats just my opinion. To each his own;)

headpunter 10-14-2008 05:34 PM

arent h pipes supposedly better?

linkwpc 10-14-2008 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 158293)
arent h pipes supposedly better?

I think the X pipe makes more power but the H, sounds "better" IMO. My friend had a H on his mustang and it sounded loud and great. But then he added an X and some of the great sound changed and its not a loud as it was before.

nseldy 10-15-2008 11:00 AM

I dont' care if it's X or H pipe.....just not a Y pipe

kanys 10-15-2008 11:07 AM

I hope its not a y-pipe, that would be ok, but I much prefer X. H would be cool to but I just don't think the majority of buyers want their car to be that loud.

ljustin293 10-15-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZcamaro (Post 157794)
I think the one you say was for the V6...
Look for the thread" I saw one, sat in one, ordered one"
In there you will see a lot of pictures, one of which shows under the car and what looks to be a X-pipe!!!! I think you will be much happier after you see those pictures.


hey...that's my thread!!:happyanim:

96CAMaro 10-16-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nseldy (Post 159462)
I dont' care if it's X or H pipe.....just not a Y pipe

So you wouldn't mind a U pipe? :laugh: I'm joking.

radz28 10-16-2008 10:06 AM

I believe it's been said that that was just a generic image they had; not representative of the actual catback. If you compare images of the exhaust (well, the chassis) there's not really a practical way for that catback to be installed on the car. My point - that image was generic and we'll be getting true dual exhuast with an X-pipe; that's at least what I've personally put together. Everything up to now points to that, anyways...

playhard67 10-16-2008 10:08 AM

Yes, JohnnyCamaro said that was just some pic they had. It is an X pipe.

radz28 10-16-2008 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the best image I can find of the exhaust that's been released and it seems clear to me that when comparing this image with others that have been posted here that the catback on GM's accessory board is probably not representative. Dual exhaust with an X-pipe (and this is on the V6 model) :w00t::thumbup::cool:

playhard67 10-16-2008 10:22 AM

Thanks, I was looking for that pic too.

MajorTom 10-16-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 157837)
whats wrong with a y-pipe? im running one right now. and honestly depending on the power you are pushing, true duals w/x-pipe is almost overkill. however the size of the exhaust comes to play. a 3" y-pipe will out flow a 2.5" true dual setup. but not by much.


you gotta realize that this car is not just for the enthusiast. its for everyone. and not everyone wants a true dual setup.

not to mention for the v-6... true duals dont make it sound like a v-8, neither does a y-pipe, but still...lol

So says the LT1 owner. Dude, cars have come a long way and with the power and displacement they're pushing these days, dual exhaust with an X or H pipe is the only way to go. That's how we do it with GTOs and Corvettes. Why would the Camaro go back to the Y pipe?

And I would bet you that it'll be dual exhaust anyway. And with the efficiency and power of new LS engines, it'll be the right way.

For the record, the GTO comes stock with a resonator which is like an extra muffler. Maybe the Camaro will do that. We'll see.

454lsxss 10-20-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorTom (Post 161666)
So says the LT1 owner. Dude, cars have come a long way and with the power and displacement they're pushing these days, dual exhaust with an X or H pipe is the only way to go. That's how we do it with GTOs and Corvettes. Why would the Camaro go back to the Y pipe?

And I would bet you that it'll be dual exhaust anyway. And with the efficiency and power of new LS engines, it'll be the right way.

For the record, the GTO comes stock with a resonator which is like an extra muffler. Maybe the Camaro will do that. We'll see.


The regular SS w/ LS3 6M will more than likely not have a resonator, I remember seeing a post that said the L99 makes a funny noise when in 4cyl mode. Because of this, they had to change the exhaust between the 6M & 6A...just another reason to get the LS3...:chevy:

Crowley 10-20-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 158293)
arent h pipes supposedly better?

From experience, I think your mid pipe works with your catback. When I had my 95 GT, I had an X-pipe / Flowmaster combo .. I didn't like the sound and swapped it for the H-pipe .. it actually made a little more power. I have heard that with a chambered muffler, the H-pipe complements it better, with a non chambered muffler, the x-pipe will compliment it more ..

All in all, it problable boils down to preference as a little here or there wouldn't make up for the sound that one likes ..

Crowley


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.