Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   All you stalled A6 guys! Please post your input!!! (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87446)

radz28 06-03-2010 02:38 PM

All you stalled A6 guys! Please post your input!!!
 
I'm a huge proponent of automatic cars and think, though they may leave some "fun factor" on the table, overall, they have the potential to out-run a stick car with similar mods'. I'd like to ask you A6 guys with aftermarket converters to post-up your thoughts and comments on your combination. Heck - post up if you have made measurable improvements in your drag strip times if you have them! Personally, I'm on the fence on which way I want to go, and though I've had a pretty big street stall on my '02 Z28, I think it will be cool to see what you all are experiencing and what improvements can be achieved with this mod'.

Please post the details on your car and your stall. Please keep comments/posts relative to the thread and leave the slushbox hate out.

Thanks and looking forward to seeing some great first-hand impressions :D

StlRomAniaN 06-05-2010 08:58 PM

Quick question: Don't you have a Camaro already? Just wondering.

But, about the "fun factor". I have a tuned L99 with just an ADM Race CAI at the moment. The transmission is also tuned in addition to the basic engine tune and let me tell you the fun factor is right on par with a manual, at least in my opinion. TAPshift is great now and I use it all the time besides traffic. Shifts should be around .1 sec as of right now. To give you an idea, a GTR shifts at .2 sec. :D

Sorry for getting off the point. I just get a little annoyed about people saying stuff about losing the "fun factor". Anyways, I'm very curious about converters also. Let's here it A6's.

Quick questions again: Are higher stalls more efficient in terms of rwhp? Say you're putting down 340 rwhp stock and you get a 3200 stall or even 2800. Will it bump up to say 345-350 rwhp? Sorry if thats a stupid question. lol

My bad, long post.

I. think. I. should. stop...

:chevy:

radz28 06-09-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StlRomAniaN (Post 1950632)
Quick question: Don't you have a Camaro already? Just wondering.

But, about the "fun factor". I have a tuned L99 with just an ADM Race CAI at the moment. The transmission is also tuned in addition to the basic engine tune and let me tell you the fun factor is right on par with a manual, at least in my opinion. TAPshift is great now and I use it all the time besides traffic. Shifts should be around .1 sec as of right now. To give you an idea, a GTR shifts at .2 sec. :D

Sorry for getting off the point. I just get a little annoyed about people saying stuff about losing the "fun factor". Anyways, I'm very curious about converters also. Let's here it A6's.

Quick questions again: Are higher stalls more efficient in terms of rwhp? Say you're putting down 340 rwhp stock and you get a 3200 stall or even 2800. Will it bump up to say 345-350 rwhp? Sorry if thats a stupid question. lol

My bad, long post.

I. think. I. should. stop...

:chevy:

I wish :D I'm waiting and hoping to get Z28 :D If not, I'll have to try to put together my vision of Z28 :headbang:

While I'm not calling you out on your tuned 6L80 shifting faster than the GTR, it's my understanding the tranny in that car is a clutchless manual; I don't know that an auto' can shift faster than these trannies. I don't honestly know though...

As far as higher efficiency, it is kinda' relative. The SS3800 I had on my '02 was more efficient than the OEM converter; I gained about 2 MPH with only the converter change - and a lot on ET. A lot has to do with the stator and orientation of the fins/veins. Typically - a lot of the time, the higher stall speed you go, you can "loose" HP, but you can gain ET by keeping the engine in it's powerband more throughout the pass. You can aritificially lock the converter and get HP "back", but just because the dyno' shows a drop in HP doesn't mean the car won't go faster, by virtue of the other influences a high quality converter will add. For example: My car showed a nearly 50 RWHP drop when unlocking the converter. I still improved my MPH through the traps, so I really didn't loose any power. Another way to effectively gain HP is by going with a smaller/lighter converter. The OEM converter on my '02 was about 50 lbs. The Yank was just under 30 lbs.; it takes less HP to turn less weight, so I effectively got more HP. STR and shift extension can also influence performance at the track or on the street, too, and with good tuning, there is absolutely no reason a stalled A6 won't be able to at least keep up with the best M6 driver. I would almost guarantee one would be able to get a better 60' time than that M6 driver.

Dave Coyle 06-09-2010 01:59 PM

I don't have a stall "yet" but do know that they will in fact gain you a quicker ET. As far as comparing the stick to the auto, I love my auto and it DOES have the "fun" factor. I grew up running and racing 4 speeds but just don't want to shift all the time. Just a side note, when I was at the C5 Fest I had to run my auto against a stick after making it to the final 4 cars in the 12 second bracket. I did lose but he was supercharged and I just had a CAI, headers and exhaust with a tune, he ran a 12.28 to my 12.73 and I actually launch him by 2 car lengths at the start but he ran me down in his 3rd gear and he hit 4th right beside me to pull ahead by just over 1 and 1/2 lengths at the end of the quarter.

radz28 06-09-2010 02:34 PM

You have to have at least some DRs to take full advantage of a stall though - make no mistake.

Blade 06-09-2010 02:39 PM

Can someone explain this thread like I am a 5 year old? :)

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

radz28 06-09-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 1964499)
Can someone explain this thread like I am a 5 year old? :)

I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Great resources:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37093

http://www.converter.cc/tech_talk/

Muscle Master 06-09-2010 02:47 PM

I was about to ask something stupid... like What the hell is a Stall Converter

lol I figured it out:bonk:

As much shit as I talked about the L99, I rather deal with less power than to deal with the issues the manual have...

:popcorn: Subscribed

radz28 06-09-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk (Post 1964517)
I have a intake/exhaust 3600 yank stalled camaro and its a M'Effing bit*h to hook on stock rims even with nittos. I cut a 1.7 60' and ran a 12.43. I think with a bit more tuning alone I could get a 12.2 out of it by changing some shifting properties. Anyways I run a cooler and it keeps it at about 170ish for street use and about 180ish hotlapping it.

I tuned the trans myself with hp tuners and it runs great.

What's the shift extension like with that 3600? Is it an SS? That 60' is EXACTLY what I'm talking about :D You gotta' break something on an M6-car to get that kinda' 60' (j/k ;)). Would you mind sharing more of your tuning set-up? I'm kinda' wondering what a PT4000 would do in that car. I don't know if it would be better, by virtue of the better gearing in the tranny, but I was contemplating upgrading my SS3800 to that one.

Regardless - GREAT INFORMATION and exactly what I was hoping for.

speedster 06-09-2010 02:57 PM

Rad -

You probably know my setup. Not quite on the road yet but getting closer. Approx. 3600 stall which is at the base of the torque plateau. :)

Hooking is always a trip on these, but once you get the launch technique for that specific converter/motor/trans/rearend/tire/suspension/car nailed down - look out. The auto will be very consistent and just plain fly... Just like you can't wait to get 1st hand info in the new Camaro. ;)

Legend 06-09-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk (Post 1964517)
I have a intake/exhaust 3600 yank stalled camaro and its a M'Effing bit*h to hook on stock rims even with nittos. I cut a 1.7 60' and ran a 12.43. I think with a bit more tuning alone I could get a 12.2 out of it by changing some shifting properties. Anyways I run a cooler and it keeps it at about 170ish for street use and about 180ish hotlapping it.

I tuned the trans myself with hp tuners and it runs great.

Off topic...but with those times you should add your name to the fastest 1/4 times list in the track/drag strip section!

Back on topic....I love driving a car with a yank...fun, fun, fun!! Don't have one on my Camaro since it's an M6...but they are nice to drive at the track!

radz28 06-09-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscle Master (Post 1964525)
I was about to ask something stupid... like What the hell is a Stall Converter

lol I figured it out:bonk:

As much shit as I talked about the L99, I rather deal with less power than to deal with the issues the manual have...

:popcorn: Subscribed

No stupid questions in this thread ;) I'm going to say it here that I'm no expert and I'm hoping to learn from everyone's real-world experiences. I know what I experienced with my '02, but we're dealing with a different animal, and there's nothing in here that wouldn't be relatable to another auto'-tranny car :D

Supercharged SS 06-09-2010 03:18 PM

Jannetty Racing is having mine built at Pro Torque as I type this. Hopefully it will arrive sometime next week. I'm already on a full slick at the track so I'm not to concerned with traction. I can cut a 1.60 60' on the stock stall so I'm hoping this will do some high 1.4's. I will keep everyone posted.

radz28 06-09-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 1964568)
Rad -

You probably know my setup. Not quite on the road yet but getting closer. Approx. 3600 stall which is at the base of the torque plateau. :)

Hooking is always a trip on these, but once you get the launch technique for that specific converter/motor/trans/rearend/tire/suspension/car nailed down - look out. The auto will be very consistent and just plain fly... Just like you can't wait to get 1st hand info in the new Camaro. ;)

I'm sorry, Bruce, but I missed your setup :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Regardless, I'll tell you that when I got that '02, I wasn't in love with it, coming out of an M6 LT1 car. However, after I got that stall, and even before getting a relatively good tune it in, it COMPLETELY changed my attitude about auto' cars. One can argue that it's not apples-to-apples since you're changing out the converter, however, I firmly believe that a good matched converter is the best mod' for the dollar for an auto' car. I hope more people will notice and post up their combinations and experiences :w00t::drinking::headbang:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk (Post 1964584)
LOL man I dont remember my shift rpms or mph settings and I lost my laptops adapter. I had them stretched pretty far from stock, but planned on pulling them back a bit in hopes of staying in 3rd longer. It clicks 4th right at the traps and is very annoying.

I personally would stay away from a 4000 with a stock cam, as it doesnt really help because you will be in your powerband around there. With a bigger cam a 4000 would be helpful, especially if you have a higher redline. Im trying to keep my car a sleeper, as much of a sleeper as an SS can be.

For DD with a good tune you will notice it revs a bit higher for normal acceleration, but will still roll on its own at idle. Im not crazy about how it downshifts with a stall due to TM but with Neutral Down Skip turned off, it literally feels like the car will break in half. Fun as hell, but too scary for my wallet.

I really want to get a set of 17"s with a better tire and see where it takes the car. Its seriously a different animal with a stall and traction will not be found on the street.

Ill send you my tune when you get your car. It should be 100% dialed in by then. Im not one of the guys that thinks tunes should be all secretive. I try shit and if it works I let people know. Also check out HPtuners.com, they have a few great threads on 6l80 tuning and although I dont agree with all of it ( a lot is personal preference) as I like an agressive feeling trans, there is a ton of info there you can get anywhere else.

I hear you on the shift timing. It was a real beesh on my car because my 3.23s and that stall were just too loose to duplicate track conditions on a dyno' or even the street. I drove my tuner up the wall because I'd have absolutely no problems on the street, but if I ran on the strip with DRs, I would hit the rev' limiter a few times on the 2-3 shift and it would kill my times. My best time with intake, CB, some suspesion, DRs, and some tranny tuning was a 12.6 @ 109 (3900 lbs. - weight) and that was hitting the rev' limiter. Ironically, after finally bringing my shift MPH down like 4 MPH, I was able to round-out all my shifts, but I never got a new time before getting rid of the car. Anyhoo... that's a different topic :D

Where do your RPMs remain at under WOT between shifts then?

That TM is a BEESH!!! My tuner accidently left the TM a couple times and between shifts, under moderate throttle, it would intervene to the point that it literally felt like I slammed on the brakes for a moment; it was awful! I hate to loose the protection of the TM, but I risked it and removed all of it. I wouldn't say I recommend it, but if you want all the performance, I think it has to go.

Can you even fit 17s on this car?! That'd be a good way to go; get some sidewall and more bite. Please keep us posted.

That'd be cool if you could send it when it's time!!! Thanks for the offer :bow::bow::bow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk (Post 1964592)
Best part was I beat a supercharged Mach 1 to get it. Ill post up the video maybe tomorrow after we win the stanley cup.

NICE!!! I'm sure he wasn't happy about that, LOL! Please post up :D

radz28 06-09-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 1964664)
Jannetty Racing is having mine built at Pro Torque as I type this. Hopefully it will arrive sometime next week. I'm already on a full slick at the track so I'm not to concerned with traction. I can cut a 1.60 60' on the stock stall so I'm hoping this will do some high 1.4's. I will keep everyone posted.

:yikes::yikes::yikes: Holly sh*tballs! Nice!!!

Supercharged SS 06-09-2010 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, you can fit a 17" SJM/Bogart wheel right over the brakes. They fit like a tight glove. Here is a pic of them on my car.

radz28 06-09-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 1964769)
Yes, you can fit a 17" SJM/Bogart wheel right over the brakes. They fit like a tight glove. Here is a pic of them on my car.

:bow::bow::bow: THANKS!!! That's great to know :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Blackhawk (Post 1964936)
Im sorry, but thats so f**king sexy. I hate all the bling rims on these cars. That shit says Im here for business.

Where did you get those and what did they run if you dont mind me asking?

Sorry - I had to edit ;)

+1 to the post though :clap:

2010 SSRS 06-09-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 1964769)
Yes, you can fit a 17" SJM/Bogart wheel right over the brakes. They fit like a tight glove. Here is a pic of them on my car.

would my Weld Wheels with my 27 x 11.5's Hoosiers that I have on my 88 Camaro fit on my 2010?

Blade 06-09-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 1964506)

Wow........thanks for the info Rad.

This why I never feel embarrassed about asking a single question on this forum.

radz28 06-09-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blade (Post 1965095)
Wow........thanks for the info Rad.

This why I never feel embarrassed about asking a single question on this forum.

While you shouldn't, many are less patient. Of course, there are many reposted thread topics. No worries though :w00t::thumbsup::drinking:

Supercharged SS 06-09-2010 05:23 PM

Chief,
I had the wheels made by SJM/Bogart. The wheels were $1419 and about $50 to ship. The tires I got directly from Hoosier at $199 each. And then I need speacial lug nuts ( the stockers don't work) so that was $50. The entire package was roughly $1900.

I have no clue about the other wheels. I would think that they wouldn't. Worse thing is that you try and find out for sure.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.