I was looking at a DIY for a GPS mount, I was courious as I had bought one. Skyman put it up.....and when he showed his Tom Tom in the picture, what did you see, HIS CAR ON HIS TOM TOM!! so cool....so I ask...and found out how it was done. And as it turns out, anyone can put any car on their Tom Tom if they want, and know how.....SO I put together some step by step instructions on how YOU too can do it.
One of the things you can do is change the CAR that you are driving.......AND there is a way that you can build your own car icon by taking a picture of YOUR car from the back (slightly elevated so you can see the stripes good on the trunk) and do a little image magic to it....so now I have MY car in my Tom Tom when we are driving somewhere new in my Camaro.
Here is a picture of Mine on my Tom Tom.
Skymans Tom Tom
if you have a Tom Tom or are getting one, here are the instructions on how to put YOUR car on YOUR Tom Tom:
To add YOUR car to your Tom Tom, do the following:
1. Connect your Tom Tom to your computer and open up Tom Tom HOME.
2. If you need to, update any software or hit the "BACK" button and it will take you to the "manage your devise" page.
3. Go to the "ADD Traffic, Voices, Safety, Cameras, etc." link.
4. On that page, open the link to "Images and Icons", then "Car Symbol".
5. A list of optional images opens up, 243 pages of them!! geeeeez, but there is a search feature, lol.
6. At the bottom left hand corner of the page there is a link to "How do I create my own content". It will give you some instructions on how to make your own, and some specifics.
7. Use the "Create" button, your browser will open up, the second link is "car symbols" and follow the instructions, when done making your icon, save it in the "art" and "Car" folder ON YOUR Tom Tom. After you have your new icon, open up "windows explorer" or "my computer" and you will see your Tom Tom listed. Open it up, and that is where you will see the ART and CAR folders, which is where you save your new icon.
8. When you are all done, and have your new icon on your Tom Tom, if you want, you can share it with others in the Tom Tom community by to the page with the "create" button, and use the "SHARE" button to upload your cars image for all the share.
9. All you do to change the car icon to your Camaro is to go to the configure screen in your Tom Tom and change the car symbol to your Camaro.
for those of you want to do this, the file needs to be saved as a bitmap (.bmp). needs to be 80 pixels X 80 pixels, and must have a RED (RGB: 255,0,0) BACKGROUND. with that, in Tom Tom the red portion is INVISIBLE, only the car will show. That is all there is to it. Just save it in the file location mentioned in step 7. AND OBVIOUSLY you can make ANYTHING you want!! lol
AND, IF you have a IOM with White Stripes, or Rally Yellow w/ Black stripes already, when you get to the list of available car images (step 5), do a search at the top right hand side on "CAMAROS" and you will find TWO 5Gens, mine and Skyman's and you can use them instead of having to build your own.