Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY - Adding YOUR car to YOUR Tom Tom (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91620)

Sir Nuke 06-25-2010 10:01 AM

DIY - Adding YOUR car to YOUR Tom Tom
 
1 Attachment(s)
I was looking at a DIY for a GPS mount, I was courious as I had bought one. Skyman put it up.....and when he showed his Tom Tom in the picture, what did you see, HIS CAR ON HIS TOM TOM!! so cool....so I ask...and found out how it was done. And as it turns out, anyone can put any car on their Tom Tom if they want, and know how.....SO I put together some step by step instructions on how YOU too can do it.

One of the things you can do is change the CAR that you are driving.......AND there is a way that you can build your own car icon by taking a picture of YOUR car from the back (slightly elevated so you can see the stripes good on the trunk) and do a little image magic to it....so now I have MY car in my Tom Tom when we are driving somewhere new in my Camaro.

Here is a picture of Mine on my Tom Tom.

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...ukesTomTom.jpg

Skymans Tom Tom

Attachment 139597

Pretty COOL!

if you have a Tom Tom or are getting one, here are the instructions on how to put YOUR car on YOUR Tom Tom:

To add YOUR car to your Tom Tom, do the following:

1. Connect your Tom Tom to your computer and open up Tom Tom HOME.
2. If you need to, update any software or hit the "BACK" button and it will take you to the "manage your devise" page.
3. Go to the "ADD Traffic, Voices, Safety, Cameras, etc." link.
4. On that page, open the link to "Images and Icons", then "Car Symbol".
5. A list of optional images opens up, 243 pages of them!! geeeeez, but there is a search feature, lol.
6. At the bottom left hand corner of the page there is a link to "How do I create my own content". It will give you some instructions on how to make your own, and some specifics.
7. Use the "Create" button, your browser will open up, the second link is "car symbols" and follow the instructions, when done making your icon, save it in the "art" and "Car" folder ON YOUR Tom Tom. After you have your new icon, open up "windows explorer" or "my computer" and you will see your Tom Tom listed. Open it up, and that is where you will see the ART and CAR folders, which is where you save your new icon.
8. When you are all done, and have your new icon on your Tom Tom, if you want, you can share it with others in the Tom Tom community by to the page with the "create" button, and use the "SHARE" button to upload your cars image for all the share.
9. All you do to change the car icon to your Camaro is to go to the configure screen in your Tom Tom and change the car symbol to your Camaro.

UPDATE:
for those of you want to do this, the file needs to be saved as a bitmap (.bmp). needs to be 80 pixels X 80 pixels, and must have a RED (RGB: 255,0,0) BACKGROUND. with that, in Tom Tom the red portion is INVISIBLE, only the car will show. That is all there is to it. Just save it in the file location mentioned in step 7. AND OBVIOUSLY you can make ANYTHING you want!! lol

AND, IF you have a IOM with White Stripes, or Rally Yellow w/ Black stripes already, when you get to the list of available car images (step 5), do a search at the top right hand side on "CAMAROS" and you will find TWO 5Gens, mine and Skyman's and you can use them instead of having to build your own.

rtcat600man 06-28-2010 10:37 AM

Thanks for the tip on how to perform this neat feature. I was able to get my Camaro added to my wife's Tom Tom. All though I was not able to follow your procedure exactly, it did give me enough info on what I needed to do to complete the task.

Sir Nuke 06-28-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtcat600man (Post 2035451)
Thanks for the tip on how to perform this neat feature. I was able to get my Camaro added to my wife's Tom Tom. All though I was not able to follow your procedure exactly, it did give me enough info on what I needed to do to complete the task.

I send you a PM, let me know, and it may be a difference of the model of Tom Tom I have vs the one you have, but if I can make the instructions more clear, I will certainly do it.

In your case, it should have been really easy, you could have gotten mine, which is available, downloaded it to you, opened up the file, and just changed the color of the stripes and resaved it, and you would have been done....piece of cake. lol

UPDATED: the instructions have been updated to make it more clear, plus a few tips.

Camaro2SSLS3 06-30-2010 07:30 PM

how do you connect your tom tom to your computer, mine only came with a cable to plug it into the cig lighter

rtcat600man 06-30-2010 08:43 PM

You should have received a cable that goes from the back of Tom Tom to a USB port. Look around you probably put it in a drawer somewhere thinking you didn't need it. The cable was used when you first loaded software on to your Tom tom.

Sir Nuke 07-01-2010 10:32 AM

:word:
AND you can use that cable to charge your Tom Tom and supply power to it via the USB port in your car insted of using the BIG A$$ cig lighter charger. I bought a longer one that I use, as I have my radar detector plugged into the outlet in the console. not to mention, I hate the placement of the outlet in front of the shifter.

Camaro2SSLS3 07-01-2010 09:12 PM

mine never came with a cable other than the cig cable and I never had to upload any software. Maybe because mine is the cheaper one? It was like $125

buzzy56 07-01-2010 10:30 PM

good stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 2048113)
:word:
AND you can use that cable to charge your Tom Tom and supply power to it via the USB port in your car instead of using the BIG A$$ cig lighter charger. I bought a longer one that I use, as I have my radar detector plugged into the outlet in the console. not to mention, I hate the placement of the outlet in front of the shifter.

Good stuff.thanks for the info.Where do you mount your tom tom? I have tried the windshield and it really takes up a lot of viewing space.Sometimes it is so heavy it has fell off. :facepalm: The console does not have any good locations that I can find.Open to suggestions.Thanks

Sir Nuke 07-02-2010 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzy56 (Post 2050575)
Good stuff.thanks for the info.Where do you mount your tom tom? I have tried the windshield and it really takes up a lot of viewing space.Sometimes it is so heavy it has fell off. :facepalm: The console does not have any good locations that I can find.Open to suggestions.Thanks

I have one of the newer XL series, it stays put with no problem. I know the vents aren't very tall, but you can get mounts on ebay for about $15 that work. but since I have a radar detector up there, that space is used up anyway so I put mine on the glass, most of the time.

Greyfox 07-10-2010 07:44 PM

How did you decide to mount your tom tom in your car. I've been brainstorming on what I want to do when my onstar free year is up. if you have pics can you post them?

chozn4service 07-17-2010 09:54 AM

Yea, I got a file for a Red Jewel Tintcoat that I added to my Garmin.

2010 SSRS 07-19-2010 09:43 PM

that is so cool

TooCool5 09-18-2010 02:18 PM

Lokks like my car, how about sending me the finished pic of the car.

Sir Nuke 09-18-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooCool5 (Post 2344333)
Lokks like my car, how about sending me the finished pic of the car.

TooCool look at the instructions....the VERY LAST PARAGRAPH of the UPDATE at the bottom.....there is already an IMO 5th Gen there, that anybody can use in the listings of available cars...because I already uploaded it to the Tom Tom server, do a search of camaro and you will find it.

STORMTROOPER 09-29-2010 12:46 PM

LOL

That's pretty cool if you have a TOM TOM...

hawkfe 10-18-2010 06:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greyfox (Post 2081660)
How did you decide to mount your tom tom in your car. I've been brainstorming on what I want to do when my onstar free year is up. if you have pics can you post them?

Found this universal mount, mounts on the air vent, works great and can be installed/removed in seconds.

Sir Nuke 10-19-2010 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkfe (Post 2456380)
Found this universal mount, mounts on the air vent, works great and can be installed/removed in seconds.

do you ACTUALLY have one? I bought one...I was not impressed, its not very solid and is kind of wobbly. Since on my windshield, in the lower left corner I can't see out anyway because of the Registration sticker AND the inspection sticker...I just use the suction cup right there and nothing is obstructed. Since the Tom Tom I have has a built-in battery, its not an issue, OR you could easily tap into the fuse box on that side and make a connectinn/cord to leave there full time.

Mr_Draco 10-19-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 2025806)
AND, IF you have a IOM with White Stripes, or Rally Yellow w/ Black stripes already, when you get to the list of available car images (step 5), do a search at the top right hand side on "CAMAROS" and you will find TWO 5Gens, mine and Skyman's and you can use them instead of having to build your own.

Which Step 5? There is two of them. :-)

Quote:

5. A list of optional images opens up, 243 pages of them!! geeeeez, but there is a search feature, lol.

5. At the bottom left hand corner of the page there is a link to "How do I create my own content". It will give you some instructions on how to make your own, and some specifics.

Sir Nuke 10-19-2010 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 2458229)
Which Step 5? There is two of them. :-)

WOW, OBVIOUSLY I made a BOO BOO. but the first one....but its fixed now, thanks....LOL after 1900 people, your the first one to say anything, or notice, thanks again.

Sir Nuke 11-03-2010 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A member ask me about how I made the Tom Tom icon of my car, he has Photoshop Elements, which is very similar to regular Photoshop, it uses the same tools. SO, for those of you who would like to do this, but not very proficient with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Here are some easy to follow instructions to make your own Tom Tom Icon of your car, or any other car for that matter.

Attachment 179191

mrbrans5 11-04-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 2511544)
A member ask me about how I made the Tom Tom icon of my car, he has Photoshop Elements, which is very similar to regular Photoshop, it uses the same tools. SO, for those of you who would like to do this, but not very proficient with Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. Here are some easy to follow instructions to make your own Tom Tom Icon of your car, or any other car for that matter.

Attachment 179191

Awsome... :happyanim:

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

:thumbsup:

Sir Nuke 11-05-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbrans5 (Post 2516603)
Awsome... :happyanim:

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

:thumbsup:

mrbrans5, how did you like yours? did it work out ok for you?

mrbrans5 11-05-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nuke (Post 2517324)
mrbrans5, how did you like yours? did it work out ok for you?

worked out perfect. :thumbsup:

Thank You. :bow:

I have my actual car on my TomTom now. :thumbup:

Revo1 11-06-2010 04:15 PM

Just got a Tom Tom, says car icons are "Not supported by my device"... :(

Sir Nuke 11-06-2010 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 2521981)
Just got a Tom Tom, says car icons are "Not supported by my device"... :(

what model did you get? for not ALL models can you add cars too.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.