Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - New England (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Illegal lights in MA (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91906)

Ladyz28 06-27-2010 02:00 AM

Illegal lights in MA
 
Just figured I would give a heads up to fellow MA owners. I was at a local gas station and was showing someone the lights I installed in the grill. Out of nowhere this State Trooper comes up and reams me for the lights. Runs my info and tells me what he can do.........Did I mention he was off duty in his own vehicle. Anyways long story short, I didn't end up getting a fine :), but was informed that any lights no matter the color are illegal in MA. I was under the impression that white was fine. I have a white and colored strip installed. So I got home and did some research and they are in fact illegal. According to the MA RMV website, any lights on a vehicle have to be SAE or DOT approved.

Brownhornitt 06-27-2010 02:11 AM

:needpics:

Eric Baker 06-27-2010 07:08 AM

But normally(at least the way it used to be) it's only like a $25 or $50 ticket if they want to be a dink, but $350 or something extra if they're blue or red. If they're a cool cop, they'll usually only give you a warning or fix-it ticket. I believe if you're in a parking lot and not driving, they can't do anything because they're not being used on road.

Shuffler 06-27-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladyz28 (Post 2031540)
Just figured I would give a heads up to fellow MA owners. I was at a local gas station and was showing someone the lights I installed in the grill. Out of nowhere this State Trooper comes up and reams me for the lights. Runs my info and tells me what he can do.........Did I mention he was off duty in his own vehicle. Anyways long story short, I didn't end up getting a fine :), but was informed that any lights no matter the color are illegal in MA. I was under the impression that white was fine. I have a white and colored strip installed. So I got home and did some research and they are in fact illegal. According to the MA RMV website, any lights on a vehicle have to be SAE or DOT approved.

The cop must be new. I have never heard of laws written for station parking lots. Now it may be illegal while on the road (if on) but I'd bet they are not while on private property.

Then again maybe if you own a sidearm in MA they can arrest you for murder. :D

daphatgrant 06-27-2010 08:22 AM

I was under the impression that you have to be under motion for them to be considered illegal.

motor1 06-27-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffler (Post 2031926)
The cop must be new. I have never heard of laws written for station paking lots. Now it may be illegal while on the road (if on) but I'd bet they are not while on private property.

Then again maybe if you own a sidearm in MA they can arrest you for murder. :D

What he said.

HotInferno 06-27-2010 09:12 AM

Sounds like he was just busting your chops and abusing his badge. On private property to begin with, and unless he observed you using them on the street he had no jurisdiction in running your info unless he had due cause to do so.
Should have taken his name, reported him to his Supervisors and give him a taste of being intimidated a little.
Not all LEO's are that way so don't sweat it!!! By the way observe those lighting laws and only display them on private property while showing your car!

NurseB 06-27-2010 10:25 AM

Sounds like someone is a little power hungry with their probably new badge. I can't imagine my friends that are cops wasting their time on their day OFF for something like lights....ridiculous!! Hope you don't have to pay a lot!

chozn4service 06-27-2010 10:41 AM

While your version sounds like he went beyond the scope of his duty or authority, I will say here in Indiana we're on duty 24/7 whether in our take home or not. Personally I have better things to do besides reaming someone for a infraction if that's what it was? I have seen violations and made mental notes, plant them today and reap them tomorrow but a tongue lashing was a bit much. If I had seen you showing them off and really wanted to inform you, I would have said "Hey bud, you know those are illegal and if and when you had said "No way" I would have then said they are, I should know and look it up as you later did as to say yourself some money and possible points. Here, we don't have vehicle inspections so pretty much anything goes however there are specifics on flashing lights in red/blue/white/amber and a few other colors. For example, you can have a red & blue light on your car or dash and drive with it but its not illegal until you light it up. Now go figure on that one. Laws are so strange and those who make them as well as those who implement cause of interpretation. States that have seatbelt laws but its not illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
Use caution my friend as if he ran your stuff as you said, he will be on the lookout for you to enforce the matter. Again, I would have better things to do with my off duty time.

Bluestreak 2010 06-27-2010 12:26 PM

chronz4service, what would you say then about having the blue halos. You mention flashing lights in red or blue, but what if they don't flash, could I still run them while I drive? I live in Indiana and have been thinking about getting them. I have tried looking for state laws regarding different colored lights, but have not been able to find anything that made this clear to me.

Ladyz28 06-28-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Baker (Post 2031852)
But normally(at least the way it used to be) it's only like a $25 or $50 ticket if they want to be a dink, but $350 or something extra if they're blue or red. If they're a cool cop, they'll usually only give you a warning or fix-it ticket. I believe if you're in a parking lot and not driving, they can't do anything because they're not being used on road.

He told me he could write me a $500 ticket, take them out of my car and seize them.

It was in the paper, I think the Enterprise a while ago.....Easton gave a $300 ticket and siezed blue/red lights. Now he had them on while driving. I only intended to use mine for show not while driving. I have a white led bar and a blue/red. I removed the blue/red that day but intend on re-installing them. I will definitely be more aware when showing them.

phenixdragon 06-28-2010 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladyz28 (Post 2031540)
Just figured I would give a heads up to fellow MA owners. I was at a local gas station and was showing someone the lights I installed in the grill. Out of nowhere this State Trooper comes up and reams me for the lights. Runs my info and tells me what he can do.........Did I mention he was off duty in his own vehicle. Anyways long story short, I didn't end up getting a fine :), but was informed that any lights no matter the color are illegal in MA. I was under the impression that white was fine. I have a white and colored strip installed. So I got home and did some research and they are in fact illegal. According to the MA RMV website, any lights on a vehicle have to be SAE or DOT approved.

A local gas station is private property. He actually had no right to do what he did unless you drove on public streets using the lights. Gas station, private.

phenixdragon 06-28-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotInferno (Post 2031993)
Sounds like he was just busting your chops and abusing his badge. On private property to begin with, and unless he observed you using them on the street he had no jurisdiction in running your info unless he had due cause to do so.
Should have taken his name, reported him to his Supervisors and give him a taste of being intimidated a little.
Not all LEO's are that way so don't sweat it!!! By the way observe those lighting laws and only display them on private property while showing your car!

Yup yup, I wouldn't have given the cop any information just because I don't have to. Private property.

epstein 06-28-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenixdragon (Post 2035055)
Yup yup, I wouldn't have given the cop any information just because I don't have to. Private property.

Actually He has the right to ask.....Its called the Common Law Right Of Inquiry.... Was the cop outta line .....IMO yeah ....Its something i would Never do .....Unless there was something purely criminal going on ..... I went about My business..... As for your actions from this day fwd......Yea....He has your number ......

Brian

Law 06-28-2010 10:38 AM

In TX you can only have white or amber in the front.
If you are off road in carshow or parking lot ur car can look like a christmas tree as long as you dont drive on the street.
Im thinking on putting some multi color halos myself:happyanim:

phenixdragon 06-28-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epstein (Post 2035146)
Actually He has the right to ask.....Its called the Common Law Right Of Inquiry.... Was the cop outta line .....IMO yeah ....Its something i would Never do .....Unless there was something purely criminal going on ..... I went about My business..... As for your actions from this day fwd......Yea....He has your number ......

Brian

Actually you can deny speaking to the cop. Just like with whole issue with the 'beer summit'. The guy had ever right not to speak to the cops at his door. The cops did not witness anything illegal, there for they had no right to force the guy out of his house. If a cop comes up to your door you do NOT have to answer unless they have a warrant or probably cause. Someone calling the cops because they saw something isn't probably cause otherwise you could call the cops on your neighbor thinking you saw something (or faking) to have him harassed by the cops. They either have to witness crime or have a warrant. Otherwise if you refuse to speak, tell them to go away, etc...they have no right to do anything else. This is in the Constitution.

Common Law Right Of Inquiry is abused A LOT and has been stuck down A LOT in courts. I am not saying to outright ignore a cop but you do have the right to question him and refuse. Have I been in this situation before? Yes, and I have thrown the law in the cops face before, just like I have had cops tell me I don’t have a right to an attorney for a traffic stop when in fact I do.

And how do I know all this? Well I know a lot about constitutional law and it is very common for cops to either not understand the law or to bend them because they are not practicing law, they are enforcers and there is a difference between the two.

Basically a cop can NOT go up to random people and start questioning them. Bottom line is this guy was on private property, a cop can not go up and just start questioning when no laws are being broken. That is illegal.

phenixdragon 06-28-2010 10:52 AM

One thing you realize too is states generally have laws about how many lights can be on each side of the car, how far apart, how high off the ground, etc...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.