Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Backup Light Covers (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9294)

ctk1 11-04-2008 09:45 AM

Backup Light Covers

Some of us aren't real happy with the backuplight position. They just look like they were tossed on without any cosmetic consideration. Is there any chance a company like Ikona would make backup light covers, similar to their keyhole covers, and leave it up to us to mount the backups in a better looking place?

The_Blur 11-04-2008 10:10 AM

This would not be hard to do. You may want to PM iKONA about this thread.

There is a legal issue with covering up the reverse lights. You may get a ticket, but I don't know how many cops will catch you backing up. This isn't exactly the first thing a cop seeks out when writing tickets.

blackZbandit 11-04-2008 11:31 AM

It may be possible to get tinted back up light covers that are body colored but still allow light to pass through. I'm sure a mod like this would be very popular!

The_Blur 11-04-2008 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackZbandit (Post 180893)
It may be possible to get tinted back up light covers that are body colored but still allow light to pass through. I'm sure a mod like this would be very popular!

That would look especially good on darker colors like the Red Jewel or Cyber Grey.

headpunter 11-04-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 180899)
That would look especially good on darker colors like the Red Jewel or Cyber Grey.

its illegal in my state to have any tint on any lights on your car. If you had a Relocation kit it would be ok though

ctk1 11-04-2008 11:56 AM

Its illegal in my state too, but I have headlight and taillight covers on my car, and the cops don't bother me. It seems like they won't do anything unless they pull you over for speeding, and then the write up begins. If we covered our backup lights up, but added maybe LED's in the plastic piece above the exhaust, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Could always take the covers off for inspection.

Mr. Wyndham 11-04-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctk1 (Post 180949)
If we covered our backup lights up, but added maybe LED's in the plastic piece above the exhaust, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

It would work, physically. You'd probably tie them into the reverse-light circuit. But the reason they didn't put the reverse lights there to begin with was because of longevity and performance issues due to the exhaust heat, and carbon buildup from the tips. I don't know how long those would or wouldn't last if you put them there...:iono:

Remember, GM has to engineer a car to last a long time, whereas we can do whatever the heck we want to it. :headbang: