Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Interactive map of muscle car interest (by search popularity) (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93166)

Tran 07-04-2010 10:50 AM

Interactive map of muscle car interest (by search popularity)

1 Attachment(s)
Cars.com has launched a neat interactive map of the U.S. showing areas of muscle car interest, based on search popularity of the Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger on its site.

The color-coded map differentiates the models, and you can click on any circle to see the percentage above average. This percentage is the amount of searches above the Cars.com average search, which is why large cities are less prevalent on this map. The bigger the circle, the larger the search disparity.

Quote:

For example, in Hutchinson, Minnesota, Ford Mustang searches on Cars.com are 1,894 percent higher than the national average. In Fitzgerald, Georgia, Chevy Camaro searches are 753 percent above average and in Ponca City, Oklahoma, Dodge Challenger searches are 1,840 percent above the national average.

There's one catch to the map, however: the percentages are highest in small towns, so if you live in a big city, a substantial spike in pony car searches is unlikely. For the record, Cars.com says that the Mustang has the highest search total of the three vehicles.

Since this "interest" map is only based off of searches conducted on cars.com, it's not really the most accurate gauge of interest in each particular car, but still, it's a neat look at search patterns for each muscle car.

*This map uses Cars.com search data from May 2009 through May 2010 and compares it to the national average search traffic during that timeframe. To make it onto the map, there needs to be a minimum number of searches for the particular model in the same timeframe.

[CLICK ON MAP BELOW]

Attachment 142674

Revo1 07-04-2010 04:44 PM

Wow! Pretty cool thanks for posting!

Odd that CA is one of the highest-selling states for Camaro, but only shows one hotspot...

CamaroFreako 07-04-2010 08:26 PM

the south likes muscle more....

Captain Awesome 07-04-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFreako (Post 2059059)
the south likes muscle more....

Not really... Muscle hates SNOW more.

Shardik2SS 07-05-2010 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 2058658)
Wow! Pretty cool thanks for posting!

Odd that CA is one of the highest-selling states for Camaro, but only shows one hotspot...

I know. Cali is second only to Texas in 5th Gen sales. Is kind of odd.

mikeSS 07-05-2010 12:16 AM

nothing beat motor city... you guys should see every week over here theres a mini dream cruse..

cybergm10 07-05-2010 12:42 AM

Im content in NJ everyone looks at my car regaurdless.. :headbang:

Andro 07-05-2010 12:45 AM

No love in Vegas :(

Vega 07-05-2010 01:06 AM

I really dont think this is accurate, there's no interest what so ever in muscle cars in California? Nahhh, thats totally off, every teenage girl has a convertible Mustang xD
And i know for a fact the Camaro is pretty popular there

Vega 07-05-2010 01:08 AM

Wait, there's not much there as far as population goes and ive been looking up the Challenger a LOT on Cars.com recently, i bet that little green dot in the middle of Indiana and to the left a little is all from my searches xD

zora2mac8 07-05-2010 08:24 AM

autotrader should do this. would be a lot more accurate. i havent used cars.com since 96

Scrappy Doo 07-05-2010 11:10 AM

Hutchinson......

SAY IT AIN"T SO!

Sterling 07-05-2010 06:11 PM

I can't count how many times I've done a Camaro search on cars.com... according to the map theres no Camaro interest in all of New England.

motorhead 07-05-2010 07:12 PM

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this at all. Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

GRAHL 07-05-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorhead (Post 2061482)
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in this at all. Doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever.

Doesn't make a lot of sense. The two dots in New Mexico are in the middle of the desert, not even close to the big cities. And nothing for Vegas? WTF?

fredbo 07-05-2010 08:41 PM

mississippi got da muscle game on lock

Viral 07-06-2010 08:40 AM

Did you guys actually read the map? The dots don't represent a base interest in the cars, they represent a percentage interest ABOVE all average car searches in each geographic area. a Circle means that one of the three muscle cars has a much higher percentage search area than average. If there were 10,000 searches on average for a camry, tahoe or BMW 335 in your area and roughly 10,000 Camaro searches, that means no circle for you. That DOESN'T mean zero interest, it just mean it has an average number of searches.

Those huge circles (with 1800% increase over avg) are all happening in small, rural towns where one or two rabid fans performing a 100 searches over the course of a year on cars.com can dramatically affect the percentage. If you live in a major metropolitan area with several million other people, your searches are lost in the sea of queries. Makes perfect sense why the circles are showing up "in the desert" and not in the large cities. You guys need to take a minute to read the fine print before jumping to conclusions that this data is all crap.

BTW, if you're a data junkie, you can also use google trends to compare different search terms to gauge their popularity. Here's "2010 Camaro" vs "2010 Mustang" as an example - http://www.google.com/trends?q=2010+...ate=ytd&sort=0

Red = Camaro, Blue = Mustang
http://www.google.com/trends/viz?q=2...mg&sort=0&sa=N

seabbott 07-06-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vega (Post 2059584)
Wait, there's not much there as far as population goes and ive been looking up the Challenger a LOT on Cars.com recently, i bet that little green dot in the middle of Indiana and to the left a little is all from my searches xD

It's probably me (2010 R/T Classic 6MT in DWB) and the other guy in Brownsburg who has a B5 2010 SRT who helped make that dot a little larger.

:thumbup: