Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   * * * OnStar iPhone application - UPDATE * * * (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98979)

CamaroScotty 08-05-2010 06:39 PM

* * * OnStar iPhone application - UPDATE * * *
 
Hope this answers some of your questions:

OnStar is expanding its mobile app technology beyond the Chevrolet Volt to include the majority of vehicles in the 2011 Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC portfolios. Weíre demonstrating the features that will soon be coming to customers as part of distinct brand-specific mobile apps for owners that each brand will be bringing to market in the months ahead.

What can the app technology do?

This technology takes the best features from OnStar and places it in the palm of your hand. Drivers will have the ability to remotely start their vehicle, activate horn and lights and lock/unlock their vehicleís doors from their smartphones.

In addition, drivers can get access an up-to-date health report of their vehicle anytime they need it including fuel tank level and range, remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure and lifetime average miles-per-gallon thatís accurate as of the last vehicle start.

Current odometer reading, vehicle VIN and OnStar account number will also be readily accessible within the apps. And should OnStar subscribers need assistance with something that the mobile apps donít provide, they can one-touch dial to specially-trained advisors, who are available to assist customers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How does this technology work?

This technology uses OnStarís unique connection to remotely deliver services from the cloud to your vehicle. When a user requests a service, their smartphone will send a signal to OnStar who will validate the information and send a secure signal to the vehicle to execute the request.

What smartphones will this technology work on?

At this time, the technology has been validated on the iPhone (including the new iPhone 4) and the Android mobile OS (including the Droid, Droid Incredible and new Droid X).

What vehicles will this technology work on?

The OnStar mobile app technology will be functional on 2011 Chevrolet Volt, Cruze, Avalanche, Camaro, Equinox, Impala, Suburban, Tahoe and Traverse; Cadillac SRX, CTS, DTS, Escalade, Escalade ESV and Escalade EXT; Buick Enclave, LaCrosse and Lucerne; GMC Acadia, Terrain, Yukon, Yukon XL.

What about vehicles older than 2011? Will the mobile app technology work for them?

The mobile app technology requires OnStarís new hardware, Gen 9, which just launched with the 2011 model year.

What about 2011 vehicles that arenít listed, like the Buick Regal?

Each vehicle not included has unique engineering limitations that prohibit this technology from working that are different from product to product. Weíre working closely with our partners in vehicle development to expand the availability of this technology as quickly as possible.

When will these apps be available to customers?

Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC are working to bring their mobile applications to customers as quickly as possible. Each brand has a different rollout schedule, but expect to see more news on this front in the months ahead.

How do the remote connectivity features differ from what I can already do on my key fob?

The big difference is that you donít have to be near your vehicle for the features to work. Say for example youíre racing to catch a flight and you realize when you reach your gate that you forgot to lock your car. Instead of having to go all the way back to the parking deck, you can simply take out your smarphone and send a lock signal down to your vehicle. Or say youíre at the ballpark on a hot sunny day and you want your vehicle to be cooled down for you by the time you make the long walk back to it. You can use your smartphone to remotely start your vehicle and have the A/C working for you before you even leave the stadium.

What happens if someone takes my phone? Can they then control my car or get critical information about me and my vehicle?

No-just to log into the app, youíll need to have a personal user ID and password, and the vehicle connectivity features have a separate added layer of protection though a secure PIN that must be entered in order to send the command to the vehicle. Additionally, on the back-end, we have more than 15 years of experience of securely delivering remote connectivity services, and are firmly committed to keeping our subscriberís

Will there be an additional fee for mobile app services?

OnStar will plan to offer the mobile app services as part of a customerís basic OnStar subscription.

Will the Google navigation features you announced in March be available for Android users on the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC apps?

The full breadth of services for the production applications are still being defined, but as we demonstrated, this technology is currently planned for a 2.0 version of the mobile app for the Volt. Stay tuned.

Is the Volt still going to have a separate app?

Yes, the Chevrolet Volt mobile app is still planning to launch as a unique app to customers in tandem with the launch of the vehicle later this year.

How is this app different from offerings from competitors?

OnStar was the first automaker to reveal a working connected vehicle smartphone application when we announced the Chevrolet Volt mobile application during CES in January. While other automakers have brought other apps to market since then, none offers the full breadth of services that we do. Itís also important to note that this is only version 1.0 Ė as we demonstrated with the Google navigation features we demonstrated at Google I/O, weíre committed to continued innovation in this space.



:chevy:

Blade 08-05-2010 07:43 PM

So they will never have support for the 2010 Camaro? What the hell?

slick rick 08-05-2010 07:47 PM

Just need to wait for the app to come out so we can test it out on a 2010.

nashstat 08-05-2010 08:35 PM

I just have to say... the 2010 Camaro non compatibility issue is such a fail for GM. Many buyers here put faith in GM in their darkest hour... and this is how they take care of them!

A car that Ed Welburn said is the latest in technology is outdated just a year after it's release!

MASSIVE FAIL!

Bear 08-05-2010 09:24 PM

Scotty if you would please. The one burning question with the App is can I remote start an LS3? That makes this whole thing all worth while. Thanks!!

JUISSD 08-05-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashstat (Post 2187577)
I just have to say... the 2010 Camaro non compatibility issue is such a fail for GM. Many buyers here put faith in GM in their darkest hour... and this is how they take care of them!

A car that Ed Welburn said is the latest in technology is outdated just a year after it's release!

MASSIVE FAIL!

+1

Captain Awesome 08-05-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashstat (Post 2187577)
I just have to say... the 2010 Camaro non compatibility issue is such a fail for GM. Many buyers here put faith in GM in their darkest hour... and this is how they take care of them!

A car that Ed Welburn said is the latest in technology is outdated just a year after it's release!

MASSIVE FAIL!

This nonsense about "needs the latest hardware" is just that: nonsense.

If they way they have done this requires special hardware then clearly their engineers are complete nincompoops.

I am not renewing OnStar in ANY of my cars because of this stupidity.

Captain Awesome 08-05-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear (Post 2187751)
Scotty if you would please. The one burning question with the App is can I remote start an LS3? That makes this whole thing all worth while. Thanks!!

If you can't remote start the LS3 from your Key Fob then you cannot remote start the LS3 from ANYTHING.

This has been addressed many times before. The LS3 has a clutch.

huggercamaro21 08-05-2010 10:09 PM

This sucks so hard. Maybe I will just have to get a 2011 CTS V Coupe.

Mach 08-05-2010 10:25 PM

Way to drop the ball GM and Onstar!!!! %$^#$$#@$@#%

Eduk8r 08-05-2010 10:48 PM

Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.

GMtothecore 08-05-2010 10:56 PM

This is some pretty sweet technology! It is too bad it won't work on mine though.....a lot of the things mentioned would be handy. But it is just that..."handy".

chevydrvr 08-05-2010 11:02 PM

Guys...i know your upset that it won't work on your 2010 but think of how long you've gone without it. You will be fine. I don't know everything about that stuff but if it only works with the newer version of onstar than that's it. The newer version must have some type of new programming in it that allows the signal to be transferred from your phone to onstar then to your car.

The older version was only built to send a signal to and from your car. It makes sense to me. You all act like everybody must think of everything all at once. Just because they couldn't come out with this at the same time as the camaro doesn't mean they screwed up.

Who knows...maybe you can go to a dealer or something and get onstar upgraded.

PnCRedJwl2SS 08-05-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduk8r (Post 2188117)
Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.

I'm with you...these are great cars. I have nothing to complain about and lots to brag about with Camaros in general.

If I can't ever use the OnStar iPhone app, I won't feel any differently about my car than I did before I knew the app existed...which is ecstatic! :D

VictoryMuscleCars 08-05-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS (Post 2188217)
I'm with you...these are great cars. I have nothing to complain about and lots to brag about with Camaros in general.

If I can't ever use the OnStar iPhone app, I won't feel any differently about my car than I did before I knew the app existed...which is ecstatic! :D

Totally agree! :thumbsup:

Captain Awesome 08-06-2010 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduk8r (Post 2188117)
Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.

I think this 31 second video addresses your question quite well.


acamellis 08-06-2010 12:09 AM

Not on Silverados or Sierras either?
WTF?

Captain Awesome 08-06-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevydrvr (Post 2188191)
Guys...i know your upset that it won't work on your 2010 but think of how long you've gone without it. You will be fine. I don't know everything about that stuff but if it only works with the newer version of onstar than that's it. The newer version must have some type of new programming in it that allows the signal to be transferred from your phone to onstar then to your car.

The older version was only built to send a signal to and from your car. It makes sense to me. You all act like everybody must think of everything all at once. Just because they couldn't come out with this at the same time as the camaro doesn't mean they screwed up.

Who knows...maybe you can go to a dealer or something and get onstar upgraded.

That's not how OnStar works.

The unit in your car ALREADY has the programming needed to do a bunch of things remotely.

They are just being lazy and/or trying to force people to buy a new car sooner.

Rogue Leader 08-06-2010 01:03 AM

Here we go again

Captain Awesome 08-06-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 2188637)
Here we go again

I paid good money for my auto manufacturer and I am a very stern boss.

When I see my employees doing a shoddy job and/or disappointing customers, I put my foot down. When I find out which one of my lazy programmers didn't support previous model years there's going to be hell to pay.

As co-owner, I hope you will not be one of those "pushover" bosses...

Scott@Bjorn3D 08-06-2010 01:24 AM

Onstar can tell me all about my car and lock and unlock my doors. They can slow my vehicle down and it has remote start. So whats the reason again that this app can not talk to my car?

Toasty 08-06-2010 01:54 AM

Don't you think that if they could make it work with the 2010's, they would? They'd make more money that way. Like it or not, there certainly can be hardware limitations. The OnStar equipment in the car could simply not have the appropriate memory space for the additional 2 way communications/commands that needs to be added for these extra features. (no, I am not saying that there is not already 2 way communications, of course there is) Last I knew, OnStar as it is cannot send a remote start command to your vehicle. If OnStar corporate can't do it, how would the app do it? OnStar is an evolving product, much like any other electronic item. I equate it to the new crop of 3D capable TV's. Do you think the TV manufacturers can go back and add 3D tech to last year's model? nope. Or for that matter, a Gigabit network switch vs a standard 10/100 network switch. - can you go back to the manufacturer and demand that they upgrade the siwtch because the Gigabit version didnt exist when you bought the 10/100, after all, they still take the same type of data and cable, right? Nope, not gonna happen. there are hardware limitations in the circuitry.

Would it be great if they could add it for the 2010's? yep. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen, at least not from GM.

it's not 100% the same, since it is a separate install, but Viper has SmartStart that will remote start/unlock/lock your car from an iphone, android phone, OR blackberry, too. it may not have the vehicle details/features of the onstar app, but the big part is there, so that's an option for you.

be upset if you want, but please don't think that GM is out to get you because you can't have it in your car.

nashstat 08-06-2010 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Awesome (Post 2188444)
I think this 31 second video addresses your question quite well.


HAHAHA... Well said sir!

nashstat 08-06-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty (Post 2188803)
Don't you think that if they could make it work with the 2010's, they would? They'd make more money that way. Like it or not, there certainly can be hardware limitations. The OnStar equipment in the car could simply not have the appropriate memory space for the additional 2 way communications/commands that needs to be added for these extra features. (no, I am not saying that there is not already 2 way communications, of course there is) Last I knew, OnStar as it is cannot send a remote start command to your vehicle. If OnStar corporate can't do it, how would the app do it? OnStar is an evolving product, much like any other electronic item. I equate it to the new crop of 3D capable TV's. Do you think the TV manufacturers can go back and add 3D tech to last year's model? nope. Or for that matter, a Gigabit network switch vs a standard 10/100 network switch. - can you go back to the manufacturer and demand that they upgrade the siwtch because the Gigabit version didnt exist when you bought the 10/100, after all, they still take the same type of data and cable, right? Nope, not gonna happen. there are hardware limitations in the circuitry.

Would it be great if they could add it for the 2010's? yep. Unfortunately, it's not gonna happen, at least not from GM.

it's not 100% the same, since it is a separate install, but Viper has SmartStart that will remote start/unlock/lock your car from an iphone, android phone, OR blackberry, too. it may not have the vehicle details/features of the onstar app, but the big part is there, so that's an option for you.

be upset if you want, but please don't think that GM is out to get you because you can't have it in your car.

On the same note... Apple just released IOS 4 and they made it backwards compatible to iPhone 3GS and 3G... Both of them run different hardwares.

When Google releases an upgrade, they make sure that ALL OF THEIR PHONES can work with it. You know how different Android phones are from each other!

So this is an endless argument. My point being that the hardware is there in our current vehicles. When a person can press a button and remotely unlock our cars, a mobile app can do it too. They just have to write an interface that will work with the existing hardware (Gen 8). IMO there are no "hardware limitations", thats all a marketing ploy!

Being a project manager by profession, my theory is that GM just did not decide to invest in the Gen 8 interface and went with Gen 9 only. From their perspective they could have thought that its not worth spending it in gen 8 since it will not help them sell additional cars... who knows, but we have been left in the dark and that is a FACT!

GM is not exactly the smartest company in the world, they have made stupid decisions before that have cost them big time.

cterry 08-06-2010 02:29 AM

:clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eduk8r (Post 2188117)
Maybe I am just a little old school, but what happened to being satisfied with what you have. Thank you GM for continuing to bring new technology to the cars you build even if mine does not have it.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.