View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #21
Orange GM freak
Drives: 2004 3500HD
My first car is a 69 Chevelle SS convertible 4spd. When my parents bought it they drove me and my brother to grade school in it. It was our family car for a few years. A more practical car came along and it was put behind the barn. I turn 16 and we drag it out to get it running.

It was the mid 80's and those cars weren't collectors' items then. I drove the wheels off of that car. I drag raced, cruised, slid it sideways a few times and generally abused that car. I learned to be a gearhead on that car. I put many clutches in that car and learned to stab the tranny with one hand and start the bolts with the other. I was stronger then.

I remember my friends and others making fun of me for driving that car. They would ask me, "Do your parents make you drive that car?" It was about 3 different colors of orange and 2 colors of primer. The rust holes in the rear quarters were the topper to the general bad appearance.

The funny thing is how time changes perspective and attitudes. I went to my high school reunion and the first thing most people asked me was if I still had that car. It's funny they remembered that car and how the fact that it is now worth a bucket load of money now changes their thoughts about it.

I had one guy try to buy my car from me at a car show. He got out his check book and told me to name my price. I told him it wasn't for sale and he said everything had a price. I told him he didn't understand about me and that car and it wasn't for sale at any price. He walked away disgusted and in disbelief. I guess he never met a real car guy before. LOL

BTW, I do still have that car 25 years later. I am in the process of doing a complete frame off restoration on it. She deserves it.

I have other good Chevy stories but that one is by far the one that means the most to me.
"My hair's turnin' White, my neck is still Red and my collar is still Blue"
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote