View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I could've told you that's a Comp Cam from the first picture. Google camshaft grinder burn. Mass produced crap that they don't pay attention to every aspect of the cam grinding process, that is the result. Ruined heat treating and soft lobes. The wheels on a lifter are an incredibly hard Rockwell. If the cam is too soft it will eat right into the lobe, you can see the sunken track real good on that one lobe. If the heat treat is OK, too much spring pressure. Work with the next cam supplier on the perfect spring pressure for the application.

Next rebuild, go with a better cam grinder... Cam Motion, Texas Speed... and go with their best cam core material.

I'd pull it completely down, there is going to be material embedded in the bearings - mains/rods/cam... pump will be scored... freshen that whole thing up. Talk to the cam grinder at Texas Speed, he'll explain all they do to avoid grinder burn. I would have the lifter bores bushed too. After a cam failure some of those lifter bores may be less than perfect. At least check them all with a snap gauge to make sure no taper, and approx .001" lifter to lifter bore clearance.
Thanks for the advice. I'm likely going with tsp or cam motion either way. My tune is by pat g and I'm trying to get cam specd by him now. . I'll post up some pics as I go.
Turbonetics T76 10psi with aem truboost controller, 231/239 115 LSA Comp Cam, adm fpcm, zl1 pump, Tr7ix plugs, 3.91/1LE Gears,Melling Oil pump, custom intake, catless midpipes, powerbond 25% underdrive, PFADT Aluminum subframe bushings, 1.5 inch drop, PFADT sway bars, BMR; sub frame connectors ,Trailing arms, Toe Rods, strut tower brace and rear diff bushings, Hurst short throw shifter and line lock,dyno #s TBD, , tuned by Pat G tuning
robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote