View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #147
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
No, I have ZERO degradation. I can go exactly the same distance in my Model S and Volt as when new. Exactly as far 3 and 5 years later respectively.

Chevrolet had the perfect hybrid - the gen 2 Volt gets 45 miles electric in the coldest weather and well over 70 in great weather and then over 40 MPG on gas. They refused to put the Voltec drivetrain in a compelling package (IIRC it was because of a change in the carbon credits).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingHawk View Post
You did not answer the question, how many miles have you driven on the Tesla? If you've logged in over 100,000 miles and claim zero battery degradation, that's scientifically impossibly. Every 15,000 miles you will lose 1% battery capacity based on the data available by Tesla, itself. Over time the tech will get better and it will no longer be a big issue.
That could vary based on how the battery is partitioned. BEV and PHEV batteries are designed with a significant portion of their capacity locked. This is done to prevent deep cycling. So even when your EV says it has zero range, the battery isn’t totally depleted. By doing this, the lifecycle of the battery is extended, and the typical degradation of range of the part that IS active is prolonged. Our 2017 Volt has an 18.1 kWh battery, with about 45,000 miles on it and we still see the same range as we did on day one. Actually, better once the vehicle “learned” our driving patterns. On a normal day, we start with 53 miles available range. On a brutally cold day that might drop to 38 - 41 miles.

Different companies partition the batteries in different ways, so some have more “buffer” than others.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |