Thread: Camaro's Future
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 02:51 PM   #229
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
One of my bigger concerns is how everything is shifting to a subscription model.

At one point, the car was yours to modify to your liking, just a girl could cut off 90% of her jeans to make a perfect pair of shorts.

Then we reached a point where you could modify the electrics of your car, but it wasn't always that well received by the dealer/manufacturer.

Then they tried to lock the computers to prevent you from changing anything.

Now that they can update over the air, what is to stop them from overwriting your tune and resetting it to factory specs?

Worse yet.... that subscription model.
Whats to say that they wont follow the path similar to how microsoft office is now a yearly subscription where you must pay each year to continue using the software you bought from them. Maybe they start buy making NAV a subscription where you lose your maps if you dont pay for the next years update, but then what if they go on to make everything electric and lock you out completely if you don't pay for your annual subscription to use whatever computer software is running/controlling your car?

Are we gonna see people "jailbreaking" cars to run their own OS? Would the government shut that down by requiring OS checks like they do emissions checks?
I think there were a few companies that are for this idea, like BMW, Honda and I think GM. To be fair, I wouldn't be against that idea if I have a BMW, given their reliability, or lack thereof.

Anyway, I think this idea was shot down. Unless everyone decides to do it that way, there is no way one single company will be crazy enough to do it unless they want to go out of business. Even if they do, remember that we have used car market.

As for Microsoft Office, you can still buy it once and keep it forever. Microsoft Office 2019 is like that. The trouble is that at one point, the support will stop and you miss out on new features. 365 keeps everything updated with the latest features, at a continuous cost. In the end I would still prefer the buy-once model, but it will depend on the specific software we are talking about here.

For example, I also have Foxit Phantom PDF Reader on my laptop. It's stuck at version 7 because I bought it. No subscription options. Now it's on version 10 and I would have to buy it at full price if I want it. 7 still works, though there are times it would crash on me, especially when I am trying to create a PDF from my scanner(very common with the current situation). If they did a subscription at CAN$50~75 per year, I would have considered it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-a239bd27eb96

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote