View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 06:40 PM   #20
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
In addition to what Camarolina wrote, I have a few thoughts. I haven't been to this track yet, so my impressions are based on what I've seen from videos of it, the track map, and impressions of a couple people who have driven it already.

First, it's not a good first track...or second...or probably third. Frankly, it looks scary to me, with lots of blind portions (partly due to elevation) and some pretty unforgiving boundaries. A friend of mine - a fairly new person to track events himself - already crashed there. For a first track event, I would start somewhere with a much simpler layout and better sightlines. Honestly, World Wide Technology Raceway (formerly Gateway) is a pretty good starting point. The infield is generally all 3rd gear in our cars and there's really only one anxiety-provoking turn (Turn 1/2 coming off the banking). I've never been to Heartland Park in Topeka, but it might be another option. WWTR is closer, though.

My other thought is that I would start off with some autocross work if you haven't done that before. It is a safer, cheaper, and less anxious way to build experience pushing to and beyond the limits of the car and getting a feel for car control. It seems like not much seat time, but each run packs a ton of experience into it. And you won't even need to better brake pads. You might consider enrolling in the Evolution School in Salina in April. You get a lot of seat time and great instruction for autocross skills over three days. After you do that and build some skills, a track won't seem so intimidating. I will also shamelessly plug the St. Louis Region's SCCA autocross events (we have a Novice School day on our calendar this year as well), as well as our PDE track day programs (on Tuesdays). The Neosho Region may also be holding autocross events again, and it might be closer to you. I'm not sure.

I want to reinforce what Camarolina wrote about brakes for a track day. It's important. I don't know of any low-dust pad that's good for track use (except carbon ceramic setups). Maybe your stock pads would tolerate an HPDE if you saved them and they have good material left. If not, you'd want to buy some. And do the fluid flush. Luckily, pads aren't hard to swap out for a track weekend, and then swap back for street use.
This track is not beginning friendly in any shape way or form. I had other drivers and instructor's commenting that I couldn't have picked a worst track for my first time. Needless to say I haven't been back since.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote