View Single Post
Old 11-30-2023, 07:15 AM   #4
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Richard Holdener did some good testing on these. Apparently, there are actual gains to be had over stock intake/stock engine, as the company claims. Very nice gains on cam+heads engine as well, but with larger throttle bodies. I have been following these for a while and have been tempted, but they are kinda ugly, although the pricing is very nice. I think he tested it with each throttle body size. Its been awhile since I watched it, but I was rather impressed they could improve against the stock intake on a stock engine, although gains at this level were minimal. Its when throttle body size and engine mods are done that increases are substantial and worth it, imo.

When you see these opened up its insane to see that they can actually flow. Its packed inside that casing.

The main concern of mine is that they hide the fuel rails inside the intake, which is kind of scary sounding to me.

Keep in mind this test was done with a 427ci motor with a healthy dose of compression and a monster camshaft in it. This is the kind of combination that would disadvantage that factory intake the most. It's also a completely untouched factory manifold, porting and rod mod usually picks up 10-15whp on your run of the mill 376ci motors with a cam, so call that a full 15bhp on the dyno curve they show for the factory piece. So, figure more like a 10-15hp gain for the PD XS vs. a ported and rod mod manifold. That doesn't invalidate the test by any means, but it does color it and position the PD XS to come out looking like more of a hero that it likely actually is.

Definitely looking forward to seeing more testing on this manifold, hopefully with a more modest test motor. If the true gain is really only like 10hp, and it takes a $1000 intake and $700 throttle body to get there over $400 worth of porting and rod mod, then a consumers $1,300 difference would likely be better spent elsewhere to achieve better gains. If a customer is looking to squeeze everything they can out of a combination that still fits under the hood and doesn't murder the torque curve, then this may be the niche for this manifold. We're hoping we get an in-house customer that wants to run this manifold some day so we can get our own testing done on it.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote