View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #22
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Compared to the factory speakers? How does it sound?

cost of the new Alpines?

Did you add a separate amp for them?
The Alpine speakers sound MUCH better than the factory BA speakers. I do not attribute this to the Alpine brand (not a fanboy), just the fact that the OEM speakers are cheap. I installed the Alpine Type-R SPR-17S which come with a 6.5", a 1" tweeter and a crossover network. The Boston Acoustics SR-60 or Polk Audio MM-6501 would be equivalent.

Any of the speakers I mentioned can be purchased between $140 and $200 on Amazon.

When I installed these, I first replaced one door so I could compare just the new speakers to the old. The sound was cleaner, but there was still distortion coming from the BA amp which is only pushing about 10-15 watts per channel. Then I installed an Alpine amp and compared both doors again. To be honest, this made a bigger difference than just replacing the speakers, but the stock BA speakers in the other door still sounded harsh; so I finished the 2nd door and I now have a much improved front soundstage.

I am using a 4-channel amp, with 1 channel for each door and the other 2 channels are bridged to power an Alpine sub in the trunk.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote