View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #178
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Which statement? The one about A and AB not doing well on an Adkins type diet? If so, I'd like to hear what you have to say. I know a lot about the blood type diet and have a 16 year old daughter that happens to have type A blood. A high fat, high protein, low carb diet (Adkins) is disastrous for her. She does much better following a more typical Asian diet (type A prevalent areas) where they eat more grains, and fish, and not a lot of red meat. It's completely different than the diet I thrive on. While she still needs protein, her body doesn't need it from the same sources or in the same quantities that an O blood type person does.

The Adkins diet is not for everyone, especially those with type A blood. I believe that the notion that one diet can work for everyone is completely false.

Maybe I should have added more detail to my original post but I didn't really want to get into specifics of the blood type diet, but I firmly believe that it's beneficial if you follow it. I can't follow it to the letter because there is no way I can give up my coffee!
The Adkins diet is actually for NO ONE. You do not get proper nutrition on the Adkins diet. <-- period. You state you need a high protein and low carb. The same as your daughter, but the protein and carbs come from different sources. Is this based on taste preferences, because the body will process the food sources the same once broken down into the body. Once all that protein is broken down into amino acids to feed the body, how does the body know that amino acid came from beef, chicken, or fish? Now, I understand the importance on "taste" and food preferences, but saying the body does better on one type of protein over another is kind of a stretch. Unless they are lactose intollerant.

And I totally disagree on the "one diet can for for everyone". Only because we are using the word "diet" as a blanket statement, and that's where the confusion begins with people trying to understand what that word means.

Instead of the usual term of "diet", we should use the word "eating healthy". Diet implies you are on some strict food regime trying to lose weight. When we are talking about eating healthy or making better choices. It seems that EVERY diet on the market comes down to teaching people how to make better choices, and they will all have a high protein and low carb outcome. Some of them are just more 'sneaky' than others on how they teach it. I teach more Macro-nutrient tracking to allow you to see what works and what you are really eating. I train the healthy way.

When I'm training for a competition, my calories will jump to 4500 to 5000 a day for 2-3 months. Where it's high calorie and high carbs and super high protein. And when in maintenance mode, it's about 2800.

Here to serve.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote