Originally Posted by Jake
I have not purchased my Camaro yet, but I test drove one. I am a designer, and I must say I think the new Camaro is the best looking car I think I have ever seen, and I strongly believe its market appeal potentially goes far, far beyond the current target market!!!!!
When I test drove the Camaro SS, its acceleration and handling blew my mind!!!! I am very excited to purchase an SS and I have the following to share with you:
1. The sun visors seemed way, way too small and flimsy.
2. Climate control is a must
3. Power folding mirrors
4. There should be a sunglass holder like in the Lexus LS 430.
5. The driver door should also have a much larger compartment like on the Lexus LS 430.
6. I thought the inside door handle was weak, and the small, cheap piece of rubber that is removable has got to go.
7. Air conditioned seats would be nice to keep you cool and dry.
8. Much bigger and wider sunroof. The sunroof is tiny like the sun visors. Take a look at the sunroof on the current BMW 6 series, which is much wider and longer.
9. I think you should have made the Camaro an open-air-coupe like on the Camaro Concept and the original 1960s Camaro. Changing this would give the car even better lines, as well as significantly improving visibility and making the car feel more like a convertible when you have the (larger) sunroof open along with all 4 windows rolled down. (As a matter of fact, I think you would be better off making a huge sunroof and open air C-pillar hardtop, than a crappy soft-top." It would also be much safer.)
10. I think the rear-view exterior mirrors should have LED turning signals on the fronts like on a Mercedes to really show oncoming traffic that you are turning, plus it gives the driver much better real-time feedback.
11. I also think the rear-view exterior mirrors should have LED puddle lamps that automagically light up as you approach the car. Once again, check out the Lexus LS 430.
12. Offer an option with powder coated brake calipers that match the color of the exterior of the car, and also offer a standard red option. This just looks high-end and cool.
13. Offer a Hard-top convertible like on the BMW 3 Series. From all the photos of the soft-top convertible it ruins the amazing lines when the top is up. Of course it is the best looking convertible ever made with the top down, but I think it should look just as good with the top up.
14. Get rid of the useless, stupid-looking hand brake!!! This is bad-retro. It should have a foot pedal, or even better, and automagic version.
15. I have to agree, that I think your designers got carried away with making the roof-line a little too low. I think if you raised it an inch or two it would not detract from the beautiful geometry.
On a final note, I want to emphasize I believe one of the most overlooked markets for the Camaro is ironically a more luxury focused buyer. I am going from the Lexus LS 430 to the Camaro and I am used to more attention to detail.
Don't get me wrong, because I think the Camaro is miraculous, I just think there is room for improvement in small details that matter. An example in my mind, is the lamo, tiny Flinstones sunroof in the current Camaro. Make it high-tech Jetson's.
I cannot emphasize how important I think these details are.
For whatever it is worth, after test-driving the new Camaro, the first thought I had, was that I have never been so proud to be an American. I was shocked and still am that I think the coolest, best designed car is the new Camaro. The car just took my breath away, but I noticed some of the details left a great deal to be desired.
I think GM should take more of an Apple Computer approach to design. Make the Camaro so there is zero design compromise. Make is totally state of the art while maintaining the amazing lines and muscle.
I think most people would be willing to pay more money for a better car that they know they are going to be happy with for longer. Once again, like an Apple Computer. I think Americans and international consumers desire more and are willing to pay for it. The Camaro is already such an amazing value proposition, build in more value and people will gladly pay for it.
I think what you do with the Camaro in the next major revision will be the ultimate character defining moment for GM. Don't compromise on ANYTHING. Just look at the detail on a 1959 Cadillac if you want to see what American design and manufacturing can do, then study a 1981 Cadillac Cimarron and see where GM went to hell.
Make the Camaro perfect. The football is on the 5 yard-line, score this touchdown and win the Superbowl of car design with the Camaro!!!!!!!!!
Also, I read every post in this thread, and I was extremely impressed with the feedback from forum members. I was also impressed at how few and consistent the design detail requests were. This is a very good sign!!!
Now go smoke the Mercedes SL, BMW 3 and 6 series convertibles as well as the 911 convertible with the new Camaro convertible!!!!! You are in the lead–keep it!!!!!!