View Single Post
Old 10-18-2008, 12:11 AM   #70
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Originally Posted by jack24 View Post
I was trying to figure that out myself. This may be totally off, but here is one rationale: Chevy wants to sell 80,000 units in the first year. There are roughly 250 work days a year if you assume a 5 day work week and 10 days off for holidays. That means the plant would have to crank out 320 Camaros a day to meet their target. 320 a days means they could fill this week's orders in 2-3 weeks after production starts.

I have no idea if it is even possible to build 320 cars a day - it sounds like a lot. But that is one way to calculate it. Someone want to chime in?
Its possible to build over 320 cars in a single shift. I've heard that it takes less than a minute from one car rolling off the line to the next. Oshawa is regularly the most productive plant in North America. Also, its a bit misleading to base it on how many cars GM wants to sell because the Camaro model year is going to be about 18 months.
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote