View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #304
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
LLT's idle at 500psi of fuel pressure, I logged that. I heard numbers in the range of 2500psi at WOT from other members. I haven't logged WOT.

'Normal' fuel pressure these days is from 43psi to 55psi depending on application, and that's consistent idle through WOT. We're in a totally different ballgame here.

I'd worry about the upper ring lands first, because as mentioned, they're thin. On top of that you have the real problem, the rind end-gaps close up as the heat expands them, and once you reach the point of serious heat (boost and detonation), the rings but up against themselves (0 ring gap) and push out on the cylinder walls. This puts a severe stress on them, then SNAP. Time for a rebuild.

As for the strength of the pistons themselves, I wouldn't put much of a HP limit on them as long as detonation and overheating is kept away. Rods go first typically from too much power, but I think these rods will handle quite a bit. That's just a guess on my part, though, but they do seem to be pretty stout. I wouldn't worry about the crank at all.

Water/Meth injection along with the FMIC should quell the temps and detonation quite nicely when dialed in. I think the next limitation is injector size. No one seems to know yet how much they'll give.

As a throwout guess, I would believe 425whp to be a reasonable estimate with meth and 8 or 9 psi.

What we really need to find out is... What is the compression on the non-DI 3.6's, and are the heads the same other than the injector ports? I'd think those pistons would swap right in, and compression any lower is a help for boost on these.
Ya think nitrous would be fine to 425whp or is torque more of an issue?
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote