View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #22
oachalon

 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Krate View Post
I agree with your statement about QA/QI in the parts department. However, their are MANY factors that go into making something in China (or any other country) too. Just because it is made cheaper doesn't mean it is better. A friend of mine is a forensics inspector for a major manufacturer here in the U.S. His company moved much of their production to China and now they are paying the price. The failures are KILLING their multi-million dollar business (pneumatic/hydraulic applications equipment) of which they have lion's share globally. The single underlying reason...CONTROL. They cannot control production (quantity and quality) as easily as they could in the U.S. There is something to be said about Made in the U.S.A. back in the day when things were built to last and not be disposable.
Orange Krate...i know exactly what you mean. i work for a company that has almost all of its factories in china or taiwan. I am engineer and part of the quality control for my company. It is very difficult to keep quality up when your parts are made in china. 90% of the problems are caused by cheap chinese material. The other 10% is because the chinese just dont care about quality control and testing of parts. You have to watch them 24 hours a day. We are not a big company and nothing close to the size of gm, but we do work with large chinese corporations. From what i have seen they are all the same.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote