View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #115
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
Because shorter gearing does not give your car any more power. It just kills your fuel economy.

A car that has 430HP will have 430HP whether you have 3.42's or 5.13's. Meaning it will not accelerate any harder with the shorter gears.

All shorter gears do is help you get off the line harder and into the powerband. Thats how it improves ET's. Once the car is in the powerband though, it will not be any faster. That would be physically impossible.

So unless you launch your car on slicks at every stoplight, shorter gears would be nothing but a downgrade.
Yes I know what shorter gearing does. Of course it does not add any engine power. Just better transfer of torque. But I don't see any other reason for a power upgrade other than getting better 0 - 60 times and better quarter mile times right?

So the correct gear ratio will also accomplish that.

If your saying lower gears are not better for performance, why is everyone wanting 3.73s and 4.10s? I know that going lower and lower for gearing doesn't necessarily mean faster, but if thought out correctly, it would help times. For instance, 3.55s on the V6 would equate to 3rd gear toping out right at or above 100 MPH. That means no need for a shift into 4th, and lower gearing = better 1/4 mile times on a stock car.

And I still stick with the idea that GM can still advertise the same MPG ratings. (with its standard gear ratio)
Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!

Last edited by KMPrenger; 10-24-2010 at 11:05 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote