View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 07:20 PM   #25
USNSCPO
Gearhead

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
ToyotaCamaro:
As long as you have the ground loop isolator, then the isolator is removing the 6vdc. Have no fear, you're safe. Its actually removing the floating ground designed into the factory system.

A LOC does two things: (1) it reduces the AC current (the music) to "low level" that amps will be happy with; and (2) most (not all) remove any DC current/volts that may be present as well. The tiny Radioshack LOCs will not remove DC current. All of the PAC products do both.

The whole reason there is a 6vdc current on the speaker leads is because GM designed the system with a floating ground (also known as a ground loop).

GM designed the BA headunit to put out low level signal to their BA amp-- good for us, as we need only remove the floating ground issue (6vdc) and patch into an aftermarket amp. The signal doesn't need any further reduction or conversion.

A Ground Loop Isolator will simply remove any DC current/volts and let all AC current (the music) pass untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaCamaro View Post
"Could" be fine. Sounds like everything is safe with LOC. I wish there was an option to buy the Harness with the LOC already in it. I already have a ground loop isolator. It squealed without it and works fine with it, but I disconnected the system and I won't run it until I have a LOC installed. USNSCPO said his worked for a couple weeks before it shorted out his system. Who knows how long it will take to damage the system or if your just putting a constant strain on it. I would just order a LOC to be safe.

Anybody looking to put a sub in there car. Definitely order the harness from ******** since it prevents you from having to cut or splice your factory wiring but order the LOC as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve would pre-splice the LOC into the harness. Couldn't hurt to ask.