View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #119
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
These announcements are always very carefully worded for specific purposes.

The phrases "very early pre-production photo" and "it was just a rendering -- never an announced feature" were included to negate attempts by anyone seeking any kind of price reduction due to the final ambient lighting feature not being as complete or extensive as the prototypes.

Also note that "an image of how the light is displayed" will be at the Cleveland Auto Show this weekend. Again words carefully chosen for a reason. Do not expect to see this feature function in a Camaro on display (most if not all have their battery disconnected so it doesn't run down when the doors are left open). There will only be "an image" to illustrate the feature.

Just my personal opinion? The 426hp Camaro SS is a fabulous car. The prototype ambient lighting across the doors and dash looked like a terrific extra feature to make it even more special. Just illuminating the doors won't look nearly as good, and may look downright odd with the lighting extending up to the connecting panel on the dash - but that panel not continuing the lighting effect. Like I said, just my personal opinion.
I agree, but the scariest part about the careful wording IMO was this:

"As a result an ambient lighting feature is now a standard condition with the start of production on all 2LT and 2SS models."

and this:

"This feature is not an orderable option, but will be included on all 2LT and 2SS models at the start of production."

Does this mean only the beginning run of cars will have this half-ass version of ABL??? Hmmmm.