View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Noon View Post
My car is a 2010 SS LS3 with the Eforce, did the install myself, and since then has about 600 miles of troublefree fun.

Allright, the other day nice weather I pull the car out of the garage, car starts perfectly, but while I close the garage door I notice a few drops of coolant on the floor. Quarter sized maybe three or four, on the driver side. I think thats leftover from the install, wipe these and forget about it. However, in the evening returning home, car is tugged nicely in the garage, I go at the back to get a rag for something else and immediately notice a faint coolant smell next to the tail pipes.

So immediately I think I have a head gasket issue. Pop open the hood and well there is nothing to see. If I have a leak it is very small. Coolant level has not decreased, at least to the point of being noticeable. I neither noticed white exhaust smoke, nor any other tell-tale sign of coolant related issues (overheating for instance° Car runs very well, no codes. The tune is the Edelbrock one that came with the kit. The Eforce is the only mod to this car (no long tubes, no CAI etc).

I have not driven the car since a few days for fear of breaking something; Did not want to get stalled on the roadside in billowing white clouds... Since I parked her, no signs of leaks I can notice, on the floor at least, and when feeling around the driver side head with the hand (very confined space, poor access) did not notice any coolant dripping, and visual inspection with the shop lamp did not reveal anything suspicious.

Whatever the leak is it is tiny judging from the drops on the floor, tail pipes are dry (maybe a little sooty but I attibute this to the safe and rich canned tune).

So here is what I plan to do:

1) pull driver side wheel and liner to get better access to side of the block at the vertical point of where the drops fell; check for signs of coolant
2) inspect driver side plugs
3) check the oil for signs of white sludge

Guys what else should I do to track this down ? Do you think I can drive the car ?
Some people stated that some blocks might have small leaks like this, not to be concerned with because all that matters is that there is no leak when the block is warm... I have difficulties to buy this story..

In parallel I am preparing for the worse i.e have of replace the head gasket. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have done it before. Hence more questions:

4) What is the GM part number for the gasket ?
5) Should I upgrade to FI gaskets ? Who makes good ones for the LS3 ?
6) I plan then to use ARP head bolts, in place of the torque to yield factory ones. I have successfull used the ARP ones on my C5 Vette head/cam job. I have a spare set laying around in my garage for a LS1, will these fit the LS3 ?

Thanks a lot guys, any help is appreciated.
Pressurize the cooling sys. if you don't have coolant pressure tester autozone or someone rents them. sounds like it might only leak when it's hot? pressure tester can over come that. If your burning it may be to small of a leak to exspel white smoke. sometimes you get random slight mis-fire at idle that's what mine was doing on my truck. don't know does the coolant pass thru the intake on the camaro?
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote