View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #1047
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I'm getting seasick reading the description.

Most of the time it isn't too bad, but there are times when I get a pretty severe headache... from the motion...

There is nothing I know of worse than the feeling of motion sickness... Unfortunately, you can't get away from the motion out here when the rig starts moving... I've actually seen guys trying their damndest to find the geographical center of the rig as theoretically that would be the area with the least movement... The fun times are being at the crown, the top of the derrick... 300 feet or so above the water line when the rig is rocking and rolling... you can literally go through 20, 30, or even 40 or more foot swings from one side to the other...

Fun times... I've been on a manrider (cable and harness) working on the drill string compensator 80-100 feet above the drill floor and had the wind blowing so hard and the rig rocking so much if you let go, they had to pretty much bring you down to the deck to start over as you couldn't get back to the area you were working on...If there were hoses or cables in the area you could, but thats not always the case... I Love my job most of the time, but there are times like that when it's not so fun...

You do what you gotta do...