View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
StreetStrip
Tyranny is Closing In

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtar41 View Post
I have about 22 grand wrapped up in snap-on tools alone. Not including my box which was upwards of 10 grand, now I wrench for a living and can tell you craftsman are ok for garage use and basic stuff but when you do it for a living you only want to smash your hands on stuff so many times when the tool breaks.

I have never ever broken a snap on wrench or socket, when i first started I had a few craftsman tools and everyone of them are broken. Plus the snap-on truck comes right to the shop and takes care of any broken things. I have broken one 3/8 snap on ratchet in my time of wrenching and I put my tools through some abuse.

But for the average guy who does his own oil changes in the garage a minor maintenance at home you cant go wrong with craftsman, but if your whole job s wrenching then you want the best. Hell my 1/2 inch drive electronic torque wrench was 600 alone. BUT its the only torque wrench on the market that meets aviation certification because its so accurate and when rebuilding engines I want the best to do the job right the first time. You dont make any money on comebacks!
If I were a professional mechanic I'd likely have Snap-On tools. Although, I've done a fair bit of "wrenching" on race cars and Jeeps with Craftman tools and never broke one by hand. In fact I recently installed a set of gears in my Camaro and used a Craftsman breaker bar with a cheater pipe to set the pinion load (crush sleeves, hate em!). It was bending but didn't break!

I have broken Craftman sockets usiong them with an impact wrench, but that doesn't count.

I don't think Craftsman hand tools are made in China, but their power tools are. Thank unions and ever increasing government regulations (e.g., EPA) for the mass exodus of manufacturing to China.
StreetStrip is offline   Reply With Quote