View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #49
Skeetss

Drives: 2011 Corvette Grand Sport M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Scot View Post
It depends on what you're wanting it for.
If you ever plan on tracking your car than go with the GS. Right out of the box it's a very capable track car. It's about 100 lbs. heavier than a Z06 but shares the same brakes and suspension, the primary differences in weight are the steel vs aluminum frame and the heat shielding/noise insulation that the Z06 does not have. The LS7 engine is a bit heavier so it offsets the weight savings a bit.
After a lot of research I chose a GS over the Z06 for the following reasons:
The Z06 is available M6 only, and I wanted an auto.
While my GS does see track use it's also a street car and I like being able to remove the targa top, th eZ06 has a fixed roof.
Last was the cost savings, at between $12 - 15k difference between comparably equipped cars the 70 hp difference between the 2 wasn't worth it to me. I've driven both on the track and the Z06 can get tail happy, and I've cut the same or a bit faster lap times in the GS depending on the track.

If you have to have back seats than the Camaro is a no brainer and for around $35k you do get a lot of performance in an SS Camaro; brakes, suspension and engine are all reasonably impressive for the price point.
If you don't need a rear seat and can afford the Corvette GS than I'd highly recommend it over the Camaro.
For about $20-25k more than a Camaro SS you get a hell of a performance increase in terms of handling/braking and even acceleration.

I own both, my DD is a Maggie equipped Camaro SS, and my weekend car is a mostly stock GS.
I've tracked both and even with tire and suspension upgrades the Camaro can't touch the GS.

FWIW, I change my own oil, install my own superchargers, suspension etc., I'm not fat, get laid regularly and am smart enough not to label people by the cars they choose to own.
We have a winner.
Skeetss is offline   Reply With Quote