Thread: Little ZL1
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #18
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
I would like to acknowledge Bear and Htron with a passage from the original lyrics in the song "Little GTO"....a testiment to the Golden Age of GM and it's high performance dominance as it was recognized in the day by Ronnie and the Daytona's, performing artists whose song played on pop radio, (yes, AM radio folks!) a #4 song on the charts in 1964 that some of us may have been fortunate enough to experience back when...may this pop culture live forever.
"Little GTO, you're really lookin' fine
Three deuces and a four-speed and a 389
Listen to her tachin' up now, listen to her why-ee-eye-ine
C'mon and turn it on, wind it up, blow it out GTO"
It's fun to occasionally wax nostalgic about the times of one's youth. That bygone era during the height of affordable and available GM muscle was definitely a wonderful time. The music rocked and the cars were cool. It was an era of extremely high expectations when we thought that technology could solve all of our problems.

For example, if we could put a man on the moon, we thought we could solve any problem, from poverty, to pollution, to cancer. As we now know, in reality, things are not quite as simple as we once thought they were, and, unfortunately, the complex problems of the world can't always be solved simply by advancements in technology.

However, every now and then, it is nice to be able to recapture the feeling of that era's endless possibilities, if only for a fleeting moment, such as when one sees a pristine Marina Blue 1967 396 SS Camaro, which can trigger memories of that magical weekend at the Monterey County Fairgrounds in June 1967. Ah, but I digress.

For me the new ZL1 evokes the kinds of feeling that I had when I first saw the GM performance cars of that golden era, from the 1963 Corvette, the 1964 GTO, the 1965 396 Chevelle SS, the 1967 Camaro, the 1968 Corvette, the 1969 Camaro, and the 1970 Chevelle, just to name a few of the great ones.

I'm a bit older, and hopefully a lot wiser, these days, but I still enjoy feeling those juices start to flow when I hear the sounds of a great high performance V8 engine emanate from a beautifully designed GM muscle car.

My ZL1 won't be a daily driver for me, but when I do take it out, it will provide the best of both worlds, as it will have the best that current technology has to offer (and all of the creature comforts that old school muscle cars didn't have), and yet it will be able to evoke the feelings, if just for a moment, of the days of affordable GM muscle when performance was to readily available to any who walked into their local GM dealership. Very cool, indeed.

I'm glad that Chevrolet has offered us the opportunity to have one more chance to experience the vehicle of our dreams.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote