View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Are we giving up on the Z28?

So, I'm feeling a bit disheartened that there has been no news whatsoever from GM regarding the Z/28.

I feel like the Z/28 is such a storied nameplate in GM history, and I just can't understand why GM is pretty much "ignoring" it.

Should I give up any hope that there will ever be a Z/28 5th gen?

Is the ZL-1 "it"?

The ZL-1 seems like it should be the top dog, and the Z/28 should be in the middle between the ZL-1 and the SS.

If there was ever going to be a Z/28, why wouldn't they release that one first, and save the ZL-1 for last? Is it more important for GM to have a GT500 fighter, vice a Boss 302 fighter? (seems like that's where the Z/28 should fit in)

To GM: I get it, there are only a certain amount of resources to allocate the development of so many models. I understand the historical significance of the ZL-1 nameplate. However, I think you are missing the mark on this one. IMHO, the Z/28 name means so much more, to a much wider demographic of customer, than the ZL-1 will. Many people know about the original ZL-1, and they know of the significance of it, but MOST people do not.

Even non car enthusiasts have heard of the Z/28 and can tell you what it is. You can't say the same thing about the ZL-1.

I will close with this: GM, thank you for giving us the 5th gen Camaro. It's a magnificent piece of automotive art. Thank you for developing the ZL-1 and bringing it to market, I think it will also be a grand slam home run to a certain customer demographic. But for me, and I'm sure many others, the lack of a Z/28 in the product lineup is an extremely big ugly sore spot.

Rant over, please return to your regularly scheduled thread.