View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #19
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyrocker View Post
This is a sports car people...don't you want a little rubber under the wheels? The car will not only feel like crap while you're driving, but it won't perform as well either with those paper thin tires. I'm out on anything bigger than 20's.
I'd prefer 19's on the SS, but I don't think the brakes allow for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmalibuss View Post
Not really true. If you find a wheel and tire combo thats lighter than what the factory offers and you have a lower profile tire you will have less sidewall flex, and beable to use the suspension possibly better than with the factory setup.
Yes it is. The bigger the wheel, even if it is a bit lighter, has more inertia. A 10% increase in diameter means that the rim would have to weigh 18% less in order for it to not lose straight line performance. It becomes less responsive to acceleration and to braking. This is why it is always recomended to upgrade the brakes when larger wheels are used. Additionally, the smaller sidewalls have less flex but again, that hurts acceleration. Not to mention durability, a pothole at low speed with rubber band tires can damage those expensive rims. I'm also not too sure about the comment about being able to use the suspension better than the factory. GM tuned the suspension on the SS to the 20" wheels. So unless you tweak it to allow for the different weight, handling might be worse than before.

WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT FUTURE PRODUCT PLANS PERIOD FbodFather

Camaro5 Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote