03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Drives: The Neighbor Hater
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Mateo, CA
I've ran quite a few track days with my camaro, and lately have been doing 2-3 month.
1. I think out of the box the car runs fantastic for the track. I havent had any issues with the tranny or rear end since I upgraded the clutch to a twin disc. The rear end has been holding up no problem. I personally get some wheel hop but thats due to the turbos as it wasnt a problem before. I run mostly 20-30 min sessions and have done a couple Time Attacks with no issues.
2. I would recommend getting an oil sump and oil cooler if you plan on running on a track. After about 20 min my oil was getting pretty close; since installing the oil cooler, I have ran the car for 45+ mins on track and the temp doesnt go above 250 (I run 20w-50 mobil 1). At the least i would get an oil cooler; i have not had any problems with the power steering.
3. I'm currently running a 6-spd manual with 750-800whp and just switched out the clutch. I have not had any issues on track and do not see a need to rebuild the tranny.
4. As far as wheels you can run a 18" C5 rim on the car (with correct offset; 53mm i believe). I run a set of 19" Forgeline GA3R rims (295s in the front, and 305s in the rear) on R888s and have plenty of traction.......before the boost kicks in!
5. As mentioned above I would consider some suspension work. I think a set of coilovers and the Hotchkis Chassis brace would be a good starting point. Various companies offer "Track" packages. I would look into those.
Besides going off track occasionally I have not had anything brake from track use. It's a pretty solid car on track and with the right setup can go a long way. With my current suspension and tire/wheel setup my car will easily hug the corners with GTR's and Viper. The single biggest difference I noticed was going to a smaller rim and sticky tires.
Hope that helps! Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Mast Motorsports Built LS3 Stroker 418, IPS GT35R Twin Turbos, Exedy GTO4XD Twin Disc Clutch, Aeromotive A1000 Eliminator Stealth Fuel Pump, AEM Meth Injection, DSS 1400hp Axels, BC Coilovers, Pfadt & BMR Suspension, Hawk HPS Pads, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hurst Shifter, Custom Roll Cage by Blu808, T3 Ports, 22" Custom Concave Mesh Rims