View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
USARCPT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
"Son, this ain't my first rodeo..."

Preface: I've been fortunate to never see competitor models (Challengers, Mustangs, etc.) attempt to goad me into some form of rolling Thunderdome match-ups.

Until yesterday.

I'm in the left lane of a three-laned expressway, with the intention of entering the left turn lane about a mile up ahead. Cars don't usually creep up alongside at the same speed as you and stay there. Somebody sure did yesterday.

Mr. Gray Challenger, with some young buck with a backwards-facing ballcap who loved to slouch down low in his left seat, thought I'd be game for his antics just because I drive a Camaro.

You know, because folks only buy Camaros so they can beat their chests like gorillas with other folks who drive Challengers and Mustangs. (That's sarcasm in case it's not obvious.)

So, I looked over (mind you, I'm using the hands free calling feature to coordinate what small items I need to grab on the way home with Mrs. USAR2LT), gave Mr. "Mumsie-and-Daddy-Dearest-cosigned-for-me-because-I-can't-get-credit" a look, and tapped my accelerator.

Oh, the look on his face! Off he went, still around the speed limit, but well on his way to blasting past a safe operating speed for the conditions (it was raining). Dingbat probably didn't know what to think as I made a nice brake + left turn signal. He sailed on past, running a red light in the process. He got a nice horn blast from the people starting to advance.

Good situational awareness, stupid.

Lucky for me, as I made that left turn, I saw another Gen5 Camaro perpendicular to me in his own left-turn lane. We did a "howdy" wave, and I could see the other Camaro driver laughing.

So ends my first - and thus far - only experience with some testosterone-fueled kid who seemed to have a lot to prove and nearly lost it all to someone (me) who really could have cared less. Tragic.