View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #91
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemiSrt View Post
All engines are SAE Certified. There is no such thing as under rating engines like the good old day when there was no certification. LS3's, 5.0's, 6.1 & 6.4 Hemis are NOT under rated.

The engine is making 580hp as advertised. Give or take a couple hp.

We installed a whipple on a LS3 5th Gen with long tubes and other supporting mods. It made 505rwhp. You honestly think a stock ZL1 with a smaller TVS blower, no other bolt ons, and probably lower compression engine is makin more power??

Trust me, its the dyno.
So whats up with all these dynos showing the Mustang GT usually between 370 to 380rwhp? Are all the dynos wrong, or does that car have very low powertrain loss? Assuming the car makes its advertised 412 HP, that would mean it only has a 9 to 10% drivetrain loss....otherwise if the drivetrain loss is closer to 15%, its making 440 to 450 crank hp. At 412 HP, at a 15% loss, it should be around 350rwhp but they never are.

I was also told that the SAE rating only means they are making at least that much HP.

Look, I'm not arguing that these cars ARE making more than advertised HP, but I'd love for someone to give the reason reason to what I said above. I'm fully aware that the dyno should be used a tool to measure your gains from a baseline dyno and not as an end all be all measuring device.