View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #786
Zeus
BOOOOOM MF'R!!

Drives: to Chipotle daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Again I think you do not understand the argument. The Vette IS NOT in a muscle car class. Look up the History of the Vette. A BASE vette though impressive is not running faster than a GT500. It run the 1/4 in 12.6~12.5 from what I have seen, while the GT500 runs in 12.4 This is all stock btw.

The STOCK BASE Vette is 436 HP. So please explain why GM would build a car with the same performance as a vette and for half the money ? Now true a z28 could cost the base price of a Vette, but that is as far as it could go.

Building your z28 would truly stomp all over the toes of a Vette zo6, and in truth thats why GM is in the trouble it is now. They been competing in-brand for years. Hell I can name 4 different SUV that are the same truck with different badges under Saturn, GMC, Chevy, and Pontiac.

But alas..that is not the point here. The point is that the Vette is truly a marvel of engineering and honestly until Ford rebuilds a GT40, nothing Ford makes atm will come close to anything besides a base vette. Not stock at least.

Sorry mate your missing the point. Im not arguing that the Corvette is in the 'muscle car class' nor do I think that a .1 second difference over a 1/4 mile is anything but a drivers race.

Unlike the GT500, the Corvette has more going for it than just straight line acceleration. It is a sports car, it will always handle better and feel more nimble being a 2 seater, and therefore always have an appeal towards a different crowd.

Now if you took a Camaro LS3 and gave it 480hp for example, gave it some suspension upgrades, allow the car to run 12.6-12.7, Your not steping on the Corvette's toes, nor (if priced right, a little over 40k) your not nearly half the price. At that speed you'd be able to compete with the GT500, while outhandling the car on a road course. With the right suspension tweaks it would win all the comparos.

And btw. I know Ford people are very willing to compare the GT500 and the SS, but consider the Vette and GT500 are closer in price.