Thread: Batmobile
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #49

Drives: 2015 ZL1 M6
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Before going to the drags I installed the Vararam Wedge. I was very skeptical of this mod and still am not sure the benefit. I did not feel much, if any difference.

Here is a re-post of my interpretation of a day drag racing with other C5s:

Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
With your mods you shouldn't have a problem breaking into the 12's without the wedge
I agree. Today there were 4 or 5 LS3 5th gens (that I knew of) running at Atco with LTs, intake, and a tune and all were stuck around 13.1 to 13.40. One freak L99 vert with only an intake and a tune was running 13.0s. Maybe all of us cannot drive. My car was running better than most of them. They had a tune, I had the wedge, ported TB, and the scoop. I was running 13.15 to 13.18 in my three runs.

Could be DA was a factor slowing us down, it was 1492. My best run today converted to: 12.968 @ 111.245 and that was with a 2.246 60 foot. My best run ever converted to 12.875. So assuming I could improve my 60' to 2 flat (doable I hear on stock Pirellis) a 12.7 corrected is within reach. Still, with all my mods including suspension work, I should be faster. I will keep going back and try to improve.

Today I was a little faster than tuned LS3s.

So I am thinking scoop, ported TB, + wedge > tune

IMO scoop + ported TB = extra HP from tune. So my feeling is the wedge was the difference. Most of us were new track drivers, except for one guy who owned a speed shop. His LTed, tuned, LS3 could do no better than 13.3 today.

I think my car was stronger on the top end than the others. I did run 111 once before and I was running 110 today where the others were running 108s. I am leaning towards the Wedge making a difference.

One interesting thing, I ran a brand new 2013 GT500 at the end of the day and he was struggling to get into the 12s. I knew i had a shot of beating him with a picture perfect run. He ran a 12.85 @120. I started in second (Doh!) and missed third gear.

This fourth run was an outlier and happened after everyone else left. So the Wedge was no help here.

I sure wish I was on my toes running that GT 500. I ran a 15.3. Double Doh!

There may have been some benefit to adding the Wedge. Still not sure, but like the Ported TB, for the money it's fun to try.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote