View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #91
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcperry View Post
Well I just figure that I'll throw in my 2 cents.

My wife owns a '12 Cruze, fully loaded. I have a '10 LS, with no options. So, I kind of see both sides. Now, my wife and I are both 21, and with only one ticket between us and no accidents, out insurance isn't terrible. mine is 900 a year, and hers is almost the same. That being said, one thing to think about is gas mileage, which will be important for when you go to college, and just as a general token of how much money you will save in the long run. The Camaro is a fantastic car, but I must say that I would not have been ready for the power at 16, even in the V6, that the car puts out. I almost killed myself too many times with my '01 Eclipse GT, and it had a hundred fewer horses. Not to mention that the Eclipse was a front wheel drive.

I would not put out the Cruze. I really like my wife's car. With the RS package, it's very good looking, it's as powerful as my Eclipse was, especially with the tune. Plus, you can get a loaded car for the same price as a stripped Camaro. On top of that, you go farther per tank (which means either not asking for gas money as much or not paying as much if you work) and you pay less in insurance. The heated seats and leather make it very nice. You don't realize how nice until you don't have it.

As for the Camaro. I love my car. I don't have words to describe how much I love it. There again, I wanted a stripped car, so I could do my own modifications. I must add that I wish I had all of the things that my wife's car has. Sure it has great looks, and tons of power, but are you responsible enough to drive it and not endanger yourself or others on the road? I'm not trying to be degrading, I am just know how I was when I was 16. Can you trust yourself to not "see how fast she'll go" just because the road's empty and your friend in the car wants to? I know I couldn't.

There is also the modding ability. The Cruze is actually more established right now. Modding on my LLT is limited, and the LFX in the new 6's is not very well established. So there's that.

Another thing. I thought I was a fantastic driver when I was 16 too. BUT..... You don't realize how terrible of a driver you really were until you're older. When nobody is in the car with you, or if a friend is with you, you are not the same driver you are with your parents/ in drivers ed. I have said it before, I don't know how I survived my teenage years. I am lucky to have, and now I have a much greater appreciation for the awesome responsibility that driving is.

In the end, be grateful no matter what you get They are both excellent cars, and you'll be happy with either one. Please though, be safe when you drive. It is a far greater responsibility that you realize now.

If you won't hear it from me, Listen to this guy.