View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCAMARO View Post
Well I'll take that offer. I just had mine installed last Friday, only a few days after getting the new TSW wheels and Continental tires. The two guys that installed them said "wow, it really rides harsh and firm, we hope you like it that way"..

So I was expecting it to be like that but you know what? It is barley firmer than the factory stock ride, and so I think they were not familiar with how it drove before like I am. Besides, evan if it is firmer, and don't think it is much if so, the overall impact of lowering is that it feels more like a race car. Lower center of gravity, less lurch on take-off, less leaning on turns and no diving on fast stops. Besides all that, the improvement on looks is to die for! That ugly gap between teh top of the tire and the fender lip is now only bout 2 fingers.

As for any issues with them, I heard some squeaking when I hit the brakes going backwards from the rear. So next day I drove it up on ramps and got under there to see where they are coming from. Pulling downward hard and it squeaked, and it was coming directly off the spring where the rubber sheath is on the top portion which is scruched down. The sound would probably go away after it settles and the rubber is worn down some anyway, but I ran to the store and got some white lithium greese. Rubbed it on them like butter on ear of corn, and the squeak? Gone.

Can you please explain why your springs have rubber sheaths on portions of them? Other than that minor bug-a-boo I have no problems with them, the car looks and handles much better. Labor for the install and alignment was just under $400, and this was about the same as I was quoted from 2 or 3 other shops.

They said it took both of them much longer than what they thought and if they knew that they'd have charged me more than the 4 hours labor they charged. "It would have probably taken you 2 days to do it"...and I can't agree more because I'm a perfectionist and would have double/triple checked everything.

So if you want to see the difference the lowering made see my other vids made before they were installed, they did make a huge difference. I didn't measure everything before and after, but I swear the front end must have settled in after about 100 miles, it looks about 1/2" lower.

This is HD, click on watch on Youtube, than quality and hit 780 for better view

This is how it looked just before the springs were installed, same wheels and tires:

Note of caution: if you use any kind of lubricant on any areas of the suspension, wipe off the excess because it can migrate onto the brakes. I used the squeeze tube form of white lithium grease, at first I tried the spray on type but that stuff gets everywhere. This type of grease will not deteriorate rubber over time like petroleum based grease would, it will actually help preserve rubber and plastics.
Greasing the rear isolators shouldn't be necessary, but I'm glad you got your problem fixed. The isolators are there to help absorb any noise caused by twisting of the spring as the suspension articulates.

Sounds like the shop was pulling your leg on the difficulty of the labor. Honestly drop spring are a really easy change with the proper tools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean11SS View Post
I had bought a 01 c5 with pfadt street bars and bilstein shocks all around. Was overall impressed with the ride but the street bars seemed to make noise. I had my buddy that owns a shop lithium grease the contact points but just seemed noisy. However the handling benefits outweighed a little noise !

Are the Pfadt end links for these cars teflon lined like the new style Vette bars ?

Looking for a price on drop springs, sway bars with end links. Mainly a street car that Ill drag few times a year. Making 560rwhp out of a Magnacharger system now. Anything else you suggest? Id love to go coilovers but 2500 is just not in the budget.
Our endlink kits for both the Camaro and the Corvette are teflon lined! Both the Camaro and Corvette are pretty sensative to endlinks being properly torqued, but the teflon lining we use in all of our endlink kits definitely does help cut down on potential noise issues. We also use a custom stud for both Camaro and Corvette that lightly presses into the control arm to eliminate movement between the stud and sway bar pick up point. The custom stud further helps control noise!

For a big HP build we would absolutely recommend running our Solid Subframe Mounts. If you need to drop the subframe to swap out the fuel pump anyway that's a fantastic time to remove the soft factory rubber bushings and go solid.

The Camaro isn't quite like the Corvette, it does need some work to help put down big power without tremendous wheel hop. Solid Subframe Mounts, and our rear arm package will go a LONG way to helping you put the power you have down to the ground.

Be sure to contact Apex Chase with any questions you might have about our products. You can also get a hold of us at 1-888-972-2464 or jarrett@pfadtracing.com!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote