View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsplumber View Post
Ok, The dealer called me yesterday to pick up my car. They said the followed the wiring harness and checked the wire going to the power steering pump. They had a repair bulletin from GM telling them to disconnect the wiring harness from the power steering pump, clean and lubricate the wire ends with anti electrolysis lubricating grease and reinstall. They said they were able to duplicate my problem, the did the above steps and they could not duplicate my problem after the fix. So, they told me they were done and told me i could pick it up. I said "So, my steering goes out, you fix nothing and tell me its ok to take my high speed car that has steering problems and let you know if it happens again?!?" The service manager tells me that they are pretty sure its fixed but if i want to leave it with them for another day they will have the shop manager drive it around all night and day and see if it happens again. I decline this service and tell them i will test it myself. So far so good, but i have only driven 5miles since yesterday. I will keep everyone informed.
Having the power assist drop out is a legitimate problem. Your editorial is a bit unfair.

They had a repair bulletin from GM telling them to disconnect the wiring harness from the power steering pump, clean and lubricate the wire ends with anti electrolysis lubricating grease and reinstall. They said they were able to duplicate my problem, the did the above steps and they could not duplicate my problem after the fix. So, they told me they were done and told me i could pick it up. I said "So, my steering goes out, you fix nothing and tell me its ok.......

They have checked with GM. They have followed the procedures. They have tested the car and found it to be working properly. That doesn't sound like nothing. If it were my car I would be as concerned as you are and wish you did not have to deal with this issue on your new Z. GM, Chevrolet and your Dealer will make sure you and your car are safe for the long haul.

For all those in the thread there is no steering system on any car sold in the USA that is steer by wire. All steering systems are required by law to operate with a failed power assist regardless of the type of assist. The steering in a ZL1 is mechanical. From the steering wheel to the rack it is hard mounted. Your ZL1 or SS will absolutely positively steer without the electric assist.

Another member mentioned to me that it is very possible many drivers on the road today have never driven a car or truck without power steering. That group of drivers have no idea what that feel like. Good point. Now would be a good time to find out. Find an empty parking. Get your Z rolling under power. Turn off the engine, but do not lock the steering column. Turn the steering wheel. You may grunt, but it will steer.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote