View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
RCowan

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yeah I didn't talk about removing the strap to the door. Your on your own there
I just installed my locking gas cap and coded it using your excellent write-up. As a thank-you let me add how disconnect the strap and pop in your new one. (I haven't seen it written up anywhere)

1) Open the fuel filler door. Hold the "swing-arm" with your left hand and slide the fuel filler door off with your right. You will be pulling straight out away from the car as if you were just trying to slide the door off the black plastic arm. You will see that it comes off easily. (by the way there is a T-rex install video on youtube that shows this part)

2) The new gas cap strap has this push-in connector already installed on it, ready to pop in place, and your old one has the same. To remove the old one--push-in connector + strap and all--get some needle nose pliers and carefully squeeze the barbs on the back side of the push-in connector and it will come out easily. You can see the springy plastic barbs on your new one so you know what to look for. Then just push your new one back in its place. You see that it is easier to do without the fuel door in the way. Now just slide your door back on and you are good to go!

Thanks again for the help coding the key.
RCowan is offline   Reply With Quote