View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #56
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy_Stranger View Post
I was thinking about this yet again on the road back home today.

It would seem that a 427 Z/28 would be likely at this point, given the "leaked" info on the 2014 models. The engine plus a suspension upgrade makes sense.

But what occurred to me is this:
COPO = Pro Drag
ZL1 = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Drag
Z/28 = Pro Track Racing
SS 1LE = Street/Amateur/Enthusiast Track Racing

This makes sense to me and would match speculated price points. Having a naturally aspirated LS7 also makes sense to me for track racing. But the 1LE may also be a test bed for the Z/28 suspension and may disappear for 6th gen.
...all good thoughts. Here's what I'm thinkin'...If the Z is made in 2014, and...I say again if it is, it will not have any designed intention beyond that of a track car to intentionally minor as a drag car. To carry the Z badge, it would have to be well thought out and designed to it's track racing heritage. The name is hallowed, as Scott said. We know there are no real weight savings to be gleaned on this Holden chasis. As much as we clammored for a LS7 in the current body form I do believe we have a better than even shot to get it before the next Gen arrives. Will it be the Z/28? I think not. A limited special edition 427 CID LS7 powered stick shift collector car, with a Pedders, ZL1, and 1LE blend of items? Perhaps...with a name only GM's marketing team knows. I genuinely believe the Z/28 will be introduced with the next Gen and DI.