View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #296
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Runner View Post
The are not for sale yet... autoblog just test drove one last week, and a loaded Charger R/T will run you $36k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
You may want to actually read what these cars are actually doing. And also you need to fact check your prices. The regular R/Ts hit 60 in 5.1-5.2 and mid 13 1/4 mile times, with specials like the Mopar 10 and Dayotna should be high 4s and are running low 13s, GM is estimating around 5 flat for the SS, might do a 4.8-4.9. On pricing the R/T starts at 29995 plus destination, AWD runs 2500 more (not available on the SS at any price), you add the track pack, driver confidence group, super track pack, nav, and distronic cruise does bring it to 38k, that does include all the lux goodies and performance goodies, many not even seeming available on the SS such as the adjustable suspension, rear heated seats, heated and cooled cupholders, etc, etc. As for the 8 speed auto,, it is set to be available for the 14 model year with the hemis, same as the GC and Ram, which should make it even quicker and yes, should be easily inline with the SS in performance. This transmission is one of the main reasons a 315 HP 4000+ pound Audi A6 can run well into the 13s. Anyways, since the SS is a 14 model this is the only fair comparison. Also, keep in mind, in the tests i read between the G8 GT and Charger R/T it was hardly a blowout. Their times were not that far off and handling numbers were very similar. One thing to also consider with that was that that year had the origonal 5.7 Hemi with 340-350 HP and NOT the 09 + version with 370. With it, the Charger would have had the acceleration advantage. it was the same with the 09 SRT8 with the old 6.1 and the G8 GXP, all the times and numbers were basically identical with the Charger just being a little more raucus and musclecar like and the G8 having a more European feel, which we all know is what the mainstream journalists prefer. We won't even get into the 11+ Charger. Yes it weighs a lot, but it hides that weight, drives smaller than it really is and is desribed by more than one magazine as driving like the older BMWs before BMW dumbed their cars down. The Charger is way more of a competitor than you are making it out to be and since it WILL be getting the 8 speed auto, it's real chink in it's armor is about to be fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Runner View Post
Was about to correct him on that.. Car and driver got 5.2 secs with the 5 speed

And for $36K... Chevy lost the mainstream V8 RWD 4 door sedan segment this time.. giving credit that is due.. the G8 kick the old chargers ass.. but this is now
Thank you both for making my point.

A 5.1 to 5.2 won't "smoke" an SS.

And I only went to the Dodge website on what was currently available as a2013 model. You were talking like these cars were available. One of you said the 8 speed was available with the Hemi. Per Dodge it isn't (as I said) YET.

My point was simply that this car won't smoke an SS and simply by your own numbers it won't even keep up.