View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #93
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

Around VIR...The ZL1 (2:57) is already faster than the standard Z06 (2:58)...this in the hands of Car and Driver...erm...drivers. It's not quite as fast as a Z06 Z07 Carbon, though (2:53).

However...interestingly, Chevy says the Z/28 is at least three seconds faster around the Milford Road Course than the ZL1. VIR is longer than MRC, so it stands to reason it should be even faster around there...but regardless...we're looking at a time of at least 2:54....right on the bumper of the Carbon-package Z06...which is the fastest car GM produces south of the ZR1 Vette...

Don't doubt the Z/28 because of paper numbers about weight, etc...it's the real deal.
Oh the Z/28 is definitely the real deal, but a not insignificant portion of that real deal is certainly in the tires IMHO. Those Pirelli PZero Trofeo R tires the Z/28 will be sporting will outclass those Goodyear runcraps on the standard Z06 six ways from Sunday...especially if you want to magazine race against Z06 times that incidentally had 1st Gen F1 supercar tires on them.

Similarly, I am willing to wager that a sizeable portion of the Z06/Z07 performance gain is in those awesome Michelin PS Cup Tires. Nothing wrong with that, its just tires play a HUGE role that really can't be underestimated.

As I alluded to, that 2:58 VIR time was on Generation 1 Goodyear F1 Supercar tires in 2007. You should hear Corvette's chief engineer Tadge Juechter's comments on the vast improvement of the Gen 2s (which are on the ZL1 BTW) over the Gen 1s. In fact, according to Juechter, if Goodyear didn't step up the performance capabilities of the Gen 2 F1 supercar tires like they did, Corvette would have gone over to Michellin tires for all corvettes; instead of just to the Michellin PS2 ZPs for the ZR1 and PS Cups for the Z06/Z07.

So I too wouldn't be surprised that the Z/28 beats a now defunct, no longer in production, standard C6Z06 on whatever track du jour, but I think the reasons for that will be pretty straight forward when you get down to it.

I'm just glad they are keeping the LS7 around a little longer, that means parts will be available to me longer if needed. Besides, the C6Z06 is old anyway. The damn thing had a run of 8 model years! You should see how my 2007 C6Z06 stacks up against a 2001 Ferrari 360

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote